Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates Of Return, and Production In High-Tech Industries
This paper presents estimates of the productivity and factor bias effects of interindustry R&D spillovers for five high-tech industries. Each industry is distinguished as a separate spillover source. The industries are each affected by R&D spillovers and are themselves spillover sources. Thus a spillover network between the industries is estimated. Private and social rates of return to R&D capital are calculated. The private rates of return are generally greater than the returns to physical capital. In addition, the social rates of return are greater than the private rates. The results show that there are significant differences between industries as to their importance as sources of R&D spillovers.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Bernstein, J.I. and M.I. Nadiri. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production In High-Tech Industries," from American Economic Review - AEA Papers and Proceedings, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 429-434, May 1988.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1986.
"Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits, and Market Value,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 984-1001, December.
- Adam B. Jaffe, 1986. "Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits and Market Value," NBER Working Papers 1815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Levin & Peter C. Reiss, 1984. "Tests of a Schumpeterian Model of R&D and Market Structure," NBER Chapters, in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 175-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schankerman, Mark & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1986. "A test of static equilibrium models and rates of return to quasi-fixed factors, with an application to the Bell system," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 97-118.
- Evenson, Robert E & Kislev, Yoav, 1973. "Research and Productivity in Wheat and Maize," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(6), pages 1309-29, Nov.-Dec..
- Spence, Michael, 1984. "Cost Reduction, Competition, and Industry Performance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 101-21, January.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1979. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2554. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.