DO defence expenditures increase debt rescheduling in Turkey? probit model approach
This paper empirically investigates the importance of financial and political variables in determining debt rescheduling probabilities in Turkey for 1955-2000. The problem of sovereign debt default and rescheduling has been the subject of substantial academic research during the last two decades. There has been criticism of models of developing countries' indebtedness and rescheduling that rely solely on some economic or financial predictors related to country debt, the foreign exchange sector or the domestic economic situation. Using probit analysis, this paper indicates that financial variables are important determinants of rescheduling probabilities. However, political variables are not significant in our models.
Volume (Year): 15 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GDPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GDPE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christos Kollias & Thanasis Maniatis, 2003. "Military expenditure and the profit rate in Greece," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 117-127.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard & Ross, Knud, 1981. "Projecting Debt Servicing Capacity of Developing Countries," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 651-669, December.
- Robert E. Looney & P.C. Frederiksen, 1986. "Defense Expenditures, External Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 23(4), pages 329-337, December.
- J Paul Dunne & Sam Perlo-Freeman & Aylin Soydan, 2003.
"Military Expenditure and Debt in South America,"
0307, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Frank, Charles Jr. & Cline, William R., 1971. "Measurement of debt servicing capacity: An application of discriminant analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 327-344, August.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E., 1977. "A study of debt servicing capacity applying logit analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:defpea:v:15:y:2004:i:5:p:471-480. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.