Artificial neural networks versus multivariate statistics: An application from economics
An artificial neural network is a computer model that mimics the brain's ability to classify patterns or to make forecasts based on past experience. This paper explains the underlying theory of the widely used back-propagation algorithm and applies this procedure to a problem from the field of international economics, namely the identification of countries that are likely to seek a rescheduling of their international debt-service obligations. A comparison of the results with those obtained from three multivariate statistical procedures applied to the same data set suggests that neural networks are worthy of consideration by the applied economist.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javeed Nizami, SSAK & Al-Garni, Ahmed Z, 1995. "Forecasting electric energy consumption using neural networks," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 1097-1104, December.
- Pierre Dhonte, 1975. "Describing External Debt Situations: A Roll-over Approach (La description de l'endettement extÃ©rieur: l'approche du refinancement) (La refinanciaciÃ³n y su utilidad para la descripciÃ³n de situacione," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 159-186, March.
- Frank, Charles Jr. & Cline, William R., 1971. "Measurement of debt servicing capacity: An application of discriminant analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 327-344, August.
- Homi Kharas, 1984. "The Long-Run Creditworthiness of Developing Countries: Theory and Practice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(3), pages 415-439.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E., 1977. "A study of debt servicing capacity applying logit analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:26:y:1999:i:8:p:909-921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.