Military expenditure and debt in South America
The debt crisis that struck South American countries in the 1980s led to severe recession and chronic economic problems. This paper considers one potentially important contributor to the growth of external debt, namely military spending. It considers the experience of Argentina, Brazil and Chile. It finds no evidence that military burden had any impact on the evolution of debt in Argentina and Brazil, but some evidence that military burden tended to increase debt in Chile. At the same time, Chile was the least affected of the three countries by acute financial crises resulting from the debt problems, although its relative levels of debt were as high or higher. This suggests that military burden may be important in determining debt in countries, but it is only of significance when it is not swamped by other macroeconomic and international factors.
Volume (Year): 15 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GDPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GDPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milman, Claudio D., 1998. "The Latin American foreign debt revisited," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 173-180.
- J Paul Dunne & Sam Perlo-Freeman & Aylin Soydan, 2003.
"Military Expenditure and Debt in Small Industrialised Economies: A Panel Analysis,"
0306, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- J. Paul Dunne † & Sam Perlo-Freeman ‡ & Aylin Soydan §, 2004. "Military expenditure and debt in small industrialised economies: A panel analysis," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 125-132, April.
- Michael Brzoska, 1983. "Research Communication: The Military Related External Debt of Third World Countries," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 20(3), pages 271-277, September.
- Fischer, Stanley & Easterly, William, 1990. "The Economic of the Government Budget Constraint," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 127-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:defpea:v:15:y:2004:i:2:p:173-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.