Disarmament: A century of economic thought
This article delineates the history of how disarmament became a concept in economic thought and reviews the relevant writings of economists such as Veblen, Wicksell, Pareto, Schumpeter, Hilferding, Luxemburg, Lenin, Bukharin, Sombart, Keynes, Pigou, and Robbins, and of selected classical precursors (e.g., Smith, Ricardo, Malthus, List, Marx/Engels) as well as post-World War II writers (e.g., Richardson, Boulding, Hirshleifer). Particular attention is paid to how the "markets-as-peace" versus "capitalism-as-war" dichotomy developed, a dichotomy reflected in the contemporary debate on the relative merits or demerits of "globalization".
Volume (Year): 14 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GDPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GDPE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jurgen Brauer & John Tepper Marlin, 1992. "Converting Resources from Military to Non-military Uses," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 145-164, Fall.
- Ron Smith & J. Paul Dunne & Eftychia Nikolaidou, 2000. "The econometrics of arms races," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 31-43.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1995. "Theorizing about conflict," Handbook of Defense Economics, in: Keith Hartley & Todd Sandler (ed.), Handbook of Defense Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 165-189 Elsevier.
- Sandler,Todd & Hartley,Keith, 1995. "The Economics of Defense," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521447287, October.
- David L. Wagner & Ronald T. Perkins & Rein Taagepera, 1975. "Complete Solution to Richardson's Arms Race Equations," Conflict Management and Peace Science, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 1(2), pages 159-172, February.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1995. "Theorizing About Conflict," UCLA Economics Working Papers 727, UCLA Department of Economics.
- O'Neill, Barry, 1994. "Game theory models of peace and war," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 29, pages 995-1053 Elsevier.
- Benoit, Emile, 1978. "Growth and Defense in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 271-80, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:defpea:v:14:y:2003:i:3:p:193-208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.