Military industrialization and economic development: Jordan's defense industry
Jordan is a recent entrant to the domestic defense industry with the establishment of King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) in 1999. The defense industrial initiative is intended to jumpstart industrialization across a range of sectors. With the Jordanian defense expenditures at 8.7% of GDP, the Jordanian authorities created the defense industry to utilize defense budget spending power and to assist in economic growth without placing additional demands on the national budget. This study examines Jordan's attempt to establish a defense industry and reviews its accomplishment. The study also compares the economic achievements of the defense industry to those of the Qualified Industrial Zone (QIZ), another major government facilitated economic development mechanism.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takayoshi Kusago & Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1998. "Export processing zones : a review in need of update," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 20046, The World Bank.
- Jurgen Brauer & John Tepper Marlin, 1992. "Converting Resources from Military to Non-military Uses," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 145-164, Fall.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Heng-fu, Zou, 1996.
"The composition of public expenditure and economic growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 313-344, April.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Vinaya Swaroop & Heng-fu Zou, 1996. "The composition of public expenditure and economic growth," CEMA Working Papers 77, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Eduardo Morales-Ramos, 2002. "Defence R&D expenditure: The crowding-out hypothesis," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(5), pages 365-383.
- Brauer, Jurgen, 1991. "Military Investments and Economic Growth in Developing Nations," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(4), pages 373-384, July.
- Sandler,Todd & Hartley,Keith, 1995. "The Economics of Defense," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521447287, November.
- Warr, Peter G, 1989. "Export Processing Zones: The Economics of Enclave Manufacturing," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 65-88, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:revfin:v:17:y:2008:i:2:p:130-145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.