Embedding landfill diversion in economic, geographical and policy settings
We analyse the process of landfill diversion embedding the dynamics in a frame where economic, geographical and policy variables enter the arena. We aim at investigating in depth what main drivers may be responsible for such a phenomenon. We exploit a rich panel dataset covering all the 103 Italian provinces. The case study on Italy is worth being considered provided that Italy is a main country in the EU, thus offering important pieces of information on the evaluation of policies. Evidence shows that the observed decoupling between economic growth and landfilling is driven by a mix of structural factors, as population density and waste management strategies. If on the one hand, the landfill tax is not arising as a significant driver of the phenomenon, other waste management instruments are associated with high significant negative effect on landfilled waste. In association to the features of the tariff system, we also underline the key role played by the share of separated collection in driving down landfilling of waste. Both the evolution of collection and tariff system are joint factors that may drive a wedge between the comparative waste performances of northern and southern regions.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 24 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Roberto Zoboli, 2009. "Municipal Waste Kuznets Curves: Evidence on Socio-Economic Drivers and Policy Effectiveness from the EU," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(2), pages 203-230, October.
- Stern, David I., 2004.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- David I. Stern, 2003. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Adrian Martin & Ian Scott, 2003. "The Effectiveness of the UK Landfill Tax," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(5), pages 673-689.
- Francisco André & Emilio Cerdá, 2004.
"Landfill Construction and Capacity Expansion,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(4), pages 409-434, August.
- Calcott, Paul & Walls, Margaret, 2005.
"Waste, recycling, and "Design for Environment": Roles for markets and policy instruments,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 287-305, November.
- Walls, Margaret & Calcott, Paul, 2002. "Waste, Recycling, and "Design for Environment": Roles for Markets and Policy Instruments," Discussion Papers dp-00-30-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Dijkgraaf, Elbert & Vollebergh, Herman R.J., 2004.
"Burn or bury? A social cost comparison of final waste disposal methods,"
Elsevier, vol. 50(3-4), pages 233-247, October.
- Elbert Dijkgraaf & Herman R.J. Vollebergh, 2003. "Burn or Bury? A Social Cost Comparison of Final Waste Disposal Methods," Working Papers 2003.46, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Lim, Jong Seok & Missios, Paul, 2005.
"Does Size Really Matter? Landfill Scale Impacts on Property Values,"
70809, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jong Seok Lim & Paul Missios, 2007. "Does size really matter? Landfill scale impacts on property values," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 719-723.
- Elbert Dijkgraaf & Raymond Gradus, 2004.
"Cost savings of unit-based pricing of household waste: The case of the Netherlands,"
- Dijkgraaf, E. & Gradus, R. H. J. M., 2004. "Cost savings in unit-based pricing of household waste: The case of The Netherlands," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 353-371, December.
- Marie Lynn Miranda & James N Miller & Timothy L Jacobs, 2000. "Talking trash about landfills: Using quantitative scoring schemes in landfill siting processes," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 3-22.
- Stern , David I., 1998. "Progress on the environmental Kuznets curve?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 173-196, May.
- Caplan, Arthur & Grijalva, Therese & Jackson-Smith, Douglas, 2007. "Using choice question formats to determine compensable values: The case of a landfill-siting process," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 834-846, February.
- Euston Quah & Jongsay Yong, 2008. "An assessment of four popular auction mechanisms in the siting of NIMBY facilities: some experimental evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(7), pages 841-852.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:43:y:2011:i:24:p:3299-3311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.