Quits, layoffs, and job destruction
We examine the quit-layoff distinction and its implications for job destruction from the employer's perspective. Using a set of panel data of Dutch firms, we get the following results. First, in addition to layoffs, quits contribute to the speed of downward adjustment of labour. Second, about 22% of the jobs of workers who resigned are destroyed. It is not clear-cut whether these resignations are initiated by employers or employees.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kidd, M.P., 1993.
"Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction,"
249, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Michael P. Kidd, 1994. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 709-33, August.
- Kidd, M.P., 1991. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Layoff Distinction," Papers 1991-09, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- McLaughlin, Kenneth J, 1991. "A Theory of Quits and Layoffs with Efficient Turnover," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Pfann, Gerard Antonie, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1371, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 2003.
"The costs of hiring and separations,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 499-530, October.
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 2000.
" The Reallocation of Labour and the Lifecycle of Firms,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 885-907, Special I.
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 1997. "The Reallocation of Labour and the Lifecycle of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 1713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:18:p:1911-1914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.