An empirical study of cereal crop production and technical efficiency of private farmers in Ethiopia: a mixed fixed-random coefficients approach
In this paper we use a fixed-random coefficients regression model to analyse data for cereal growing small-scale farmers in efficiency. Results show that land size is a major constraint and only small changes in cultivated area and land quality yield relatively high increments to output. Larger farms are relatively less productive, everything else being equal. Human capital in the form of literacy and experience are found to affect productivity positively. Our findings show a high degree of farm-specific technical inefficiency. With regard to the inputs we find high degrees of input-specific technical inefficiency, especially so for labour and fertilizer. The age structure of the household, environmental factors and education are found to be weakly correlated with efficiency. Furthermore, sharecropping is found to be positively correlated with technical efficiency.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P.A.V.B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas, 1993.
"Random coefficient models: theory and applications,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Swamy, P A V B & Tavlas, George S, 1995. " Random Coefficient Models: Theory and Applications," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 165-96, June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Greene, William H., 1980. "Maximum likelihood estimation of econometric frontier functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-56, May.
- Kalirajan, K P & Obwona, M B, 1994. "Frontier Production Function: The Stochastic Coefficients Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 87-96, February.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1988. "Estimation of Input-Specific Technical and Allocative Inefficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(3), pages 535-49, September.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Griffiths, William E., 1971. "Estimation Of Actual Response Coefficients In The Hildreth-Houck Random Coefficient Model," Staff Papers 14275, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:29:y:1997:i:9:p:1217-1226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.