Buying without using -- biases of German BahnCard buyers
We use a large data set of German railway travellers to analyse the purchasing decision for fare-reducing BahnCards. We expect that this tariff choice is neither completely rational nor irrational, but bounded-rational in a meaningful way. Actually we predict a flat-rate bias, i.e. an under-use of their BahnCards by many customers. However, we estimate that this bias is not too large. The empirical results approve our hypotheses for the most part, especially for the more expensive BahnCard50 (BC50), whereas the under-use of the cheaper BahnCard25 (BC25) is so extensive that it is not worthwhile on average.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2013)
Issue (Month): 7 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth E. Train, 1991. "Optimal Regulation: The Economic Theory of Natural Monopoly," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200848, December.
- Stefano DellaVigna & Ulrike Malmendier, 2004.
"Contract Design and Self-Control: Theory and Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 353-402.
- Malmendier, Ulrike M. & Della Vigna, Stefano, 2003. "Contract Design and Self Control: Theory and Evidence," Research Papers 1801, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Miravete, Eugenio J, 2000.
"Estimating Demand for Local Telephone Service with Asymmetric Information and Optional Calling Plans,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eugenio J. Miravete, 2002. "Estimating Demand for Local Telephone Service with Asymmetric Information and Optional Calling Plans," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(4), pages 943-971.
- R. Preston Mcafee & Hugo M. Mialon & Sue H. Mialon, 2010. "Do Sunk Costs Matter?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(2), pages 323-336, 04.
- Stefano DellaVigna & Ulrike Malmendier, 2006. "Paying Not to Go to the Gym," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 694-719, June.
- Evens Salies, 2006.
"Mergers in the GB Electricity Market: Effects on Retail Charges,"
- Evens Salies, 2008. "Mergers in the GB electricity market: effects on retail charges," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(11), pages 1483-1490.
- Evens Salies, 2006. "Mergers in the GB Electricity Market: Effects on Retail Charges," Sciences Po publications 2006-8, Sciences Po.
- Evens Salies, 2006. "Mergers in the GB electricity market: effects on retail charges," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2006-08, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Richard Thaler, 1985.
"Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice,"
INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 199-214.
- Daniel Van Vuuren & Piet Rietveld, 2002. "The Off-peak Demand for Train Kilometres and Train Tickets: A Microeconometric Analysis," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 36(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Soman, Dilip, 2001. " Effects of Payment Mechanism on Spending Behavior: The Role of Rehearsal and Immediacy of Payments," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(4), pages 460-74, March.
- Gourville, John T & Soman, Dilip, 1998. " Payment Depreciation: The Behavioral Effects of Temporally Separating Payments from Consumption," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 160-74, September.
- Junyi Shen & Yusuke Sakata & Yoshizo Hashimoto, 2008.
"Is individual environmental consciousness one of the determinants in transport mode choice?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(10), pages 1229-1239.
- Junyi Shen & Yusuke Sakata & Yoshizo Hashimoto, 2005. "Is Individual Environmental Consciousness One of the Determinants in Transport Mode Choice?," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-29, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Train, Kenneth E & Ben-Akiva, Moshe & Atherton, Terry, 1989. "Consumption Patterns and Self-selecting Tariffs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 62-73, February.
- Eugenio J. Miravete, 2003. "Choosing the Wrong Calling Plan? Ignorance and Learning," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 297-310, March.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Smith, Ian, 1999.
"Season Tickets and the Demand for Public Transport,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 219-38.
- Felix R FitzRoy & Ian Smith, 1998. "Season Tickets and the Demand for Public Transport," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9802, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:45:y:2013:i:7:p:933-941. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.