Hydropower with Financial Information
The paper considers a single utility company's long- and medium-term hydropower planning. The uncertainties are from the electricity forward curve and a random inflow. A simple and intuitive parameterization is given for the optimal production strategy. The accuracy of the parameterization is analysed by comparing its expected cash flows with the corresponding upper bound. In a test case the proposed method is compared with the realized production strategy of a Norwegian hydropower producer during winters 1997-2003. The parameterization gives earnings that are within 2.6% from the theoretical upper bound. Further, the results illustrate that during some years, part of the realized production strategy can be explained with the method, suggesting that during these years the forward curve information has already been incorporated in the production planning. However, even during the years when the correlation between the proposed strategy and the realized production is low, the strategy would have increased the realized earnings. This suggests that the information from the derivative markets would improve the production strategy.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5-6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Fleten, Stein-Erik & Lemming, Jacob, 2003. "Constructing forward price curves in electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 409-424, September.
- Les Clewlow & Chris Strickland, 1999. "Valuing Energy Options in a One Factor Model Fitted to Forward Prices," Research Paper Series 10, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Helyette Geman & A. Roncoroni, 2006. "Understanding the Fine Structure of Electricity Prices," Post-Print halshs-00144198, HAL.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Vehvilainen, Iivo & Keppo, Jussi, 2003. "Managing electricity market price risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 136-147, February.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-973, July.
- Bjarne Hø jgaard & Michael Taksar, 1999. "Controlling Risk Exposure and Dividends Payout Schemes:Insurance Company Example," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 153-182.
- Thompson, Andrew C., 1995. "Valuation of Path-Dependent Contingent Claims with Multiple Exercise Decisions over Time: The Case of Take-or-Pay," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 271-293, June.
- Patrick Jaillet & Ehud I. Ronn & Stathis Tompaidis, 2004. "Valuation of Commodity-Based Swing Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(7), pages 909-921, July.
- Archibald, T. W. & Buchanan, C. S. & Thomas, L. C. & McKinnon, K. I. M., 2001. "Controlling multi-reservoir systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(3), pages 619-626, March.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-257, August.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1433 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cox, John C. & Huang, Chi-fu, 1989. "Optimal consumption and portfolio policies when asset prices follow a diffusion process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 33-83, October.
- Hélyette Geman & Andrea Roncoroni, 2006. "Understanding the Fine Structure of Electricity Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1225-1262, May.
- Boyle, Phelim P., 1977. "Options: A Monte Carlo approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 323-338, May.
- Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Pricing American-style securities using simulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1323-1352, June.
- Cuoco, Domenico, 1997. "Optimal Consumption and Equilibrium Prices with Portfolio Constraints and Stochastic Income," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 33-73, January.
- (**), Hui Wang & Jaksa Cvitanic & (*), Walter Schachermayer, 2001. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets with random endowment," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 259-272. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:15:y:2008:i:5-6:p:503-529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.