A Control Variate Method for Monte Carlo Simulations of Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models with Jumps
This paper examines the pricing of interest rate derivatives when the interest rate dynamics experience infrequent jump shocks modelled as a Poisson process. The pricing framework adapted was developed by Chiarella and Nikitopoulos to provide an extension of the Heath, Jarrow and Morton model to jump-diffusions and achieves Markovian structures under certain volatility specifications. Fourier Transform solutions for the price of a bond option under deterministic volatility specifications are derived and a control variate numerical method is developed under a more general state dependent volatility structure, a case in which closed form solutions are generally not possible. In doing so, a novel perspective is provided on control variate methods by going outside a given complex model to a simpler more tractable setting to provide the control variates.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008.
"Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-209, March.
- Fabio Mercurio & Wolfgang J. Runggaldier, 1993. "Option Pricing For Jump Diffusions: Approximations and Their Interpretation," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 191-200.
- Carl Chiarella & Adam Kucera & Andrew Ziogas, 2004. "A Survey of the Integral Representation of American Option Prices," Research Paper Series 118, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-592.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
- Carl Chiarella & Thuy‐Duong Tô, 2003.
"The jump component of the volatility structure of interest rate futures markets: An international comparison,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(12), pages 1125-1158, December.
- To, Thuy Duong & Carl Chiarella, 2003. "The Jump Component of the Volatility Structure of Interest Rate Futures Markets: An International Comparison," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 205, Royal Economic Society.
- Chiarella, Carl & Clewlow, Les & Musti, Silvana, 2005. "A volatility decomposition control variate technique for Monte Carlo simulations of Heath Jarrow Morton models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 325-336, March.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-343.
- Bates, David S, 1996. "Jumps and Stochastic Volatility: Exchange Rate Processes Implicit in Deutsche Mark Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 69-107.
- Bruti-Liberati Nicola & Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios Christina & Platen Eckhard, 2006. "First Order Strong Approximations of Jump Diffusions," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 191-209, October.
- Carl Chiarella & Christina Sklibosios, 2003. "A Class of Jump-Diffusion Bond Pricing Models within the HJM Framework," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 10(2), pages 87-127, September.
- Paul Glasserman & S. G. Kou, 2003. "The Term Structure of Simple Forward Rates with Jump Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 383-410.
- Hiroshi Shirakawa, 1991. "Interest Rate Option Pricing With Poisson-Gaussian Forward Rate Curve Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(4), pages 77-94.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Michael Johannes, 2004. "The Statistical and Economic Role of Jumps in Continuous-Time Interest Rate Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 227-260, 02.
- Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios, 2005. "A Class of Markovian Models for the Term Structure of Interest Rates Under Jump-Diffusions," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 6.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Inui, Koji & Kijima, Masaaki, 1998. "A Markovian Framework in Multi-Factor Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 423-440, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- George Chacko, 2002. "Pricing Interest Rate Derivatives: A General Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 195-241, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:14:y:2007:i:5:p:365-399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.