A Control Variate Method for Monte Carlo Simulations of Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models with Jumps
This paper examines the pricing of interest rate derivatives when the interest rate dynamics experience infrequent jump shocks modelled as a Poisson process. The pricing framework adapted was developed by Chiarella and Nikitopoulos to provide an extension of the Heath, Jarrow and Morton model to jump-diffusions and achieves Markovian structures under certain volatility specifications. Fourier Transform solutions for the price of a bond option under deterministic volatility specifications are derived and a control variate numerical method is developed under a more general state dependent volatility structure, a case in which closed form solutions are generally not possible. In doing so, a novel perspective is provided on control variate methods by going outside a given complex model to a simpler more tractable setting to provide the control variates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Hiroshi Shirakawa, 1991. "Interest Rate Option Pricing With Poisson-Gaussian Forward Rate Curve Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(4), pages 77-94.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Michael Johannes, 2004. "The Statistical and Economic Role of Jumps in Continuous-Time Interest Rate Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 227-260, 02.
- Carl Chiarella & Thuy‐Duong Tô, 2003.
"The jump component of the volatility structure of interest rate futures markets: An international comparison,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(12), pages 1125-1158, December.
- To, Thuy Duong & Carl Chiarella, 2003. "The Jump Component of the Volatility Structure of Interest Rate Futures Markets: An International Comparison," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 205, Royal Economic Society.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Carl Chiarella & Adam Kucera & Andrew Ziogas, 2004. "A Survey of the Integral Representation of American Option Prices," Research Paper Series 118, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Paul Glasserman & S. G. Kou, 2003. "The Term Structure of Simple Forward Rates with Jump Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 383-410.
- Carl Chiarella & Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios, 2004.
"A Class of Jump-Diffusion Bond Pricing Models within the HJM Framework,"
Research Paper Series
132, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Christina Sklibosios, 2003. "A Class of Jump-Diffusion Bond Pricing Models within the HJM Framework," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 87-127, September.
- Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios, 2005. "A Class of Markovian Models for the Term Structure of Interest Rates Under Jump-Diffusions," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 6.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- George Chacko, 2002. "Pricing Interest Rate Derivatives: A General Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 195-241, March.
- Fabio Mercurio & Wolfgang J. Runggaldier, 1993. "Option Pricing For Jump Diffusions: Approximations and Their Interpretation," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 191-200.
- Chiarella, Carl & Clewlow, Les & Musti, Silvana, 2005. "A volatility decomposition control variate technique for Monte Carlo simulations of Heath Jarrow Morton models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 325-336, March.
- Bates, David S, 1996. "Jumps and Stochastic Volatility: Exchange Rate Processes Implicit in Deutsche Mark Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 69-107.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
- Inui, Koji & Kijima, Masaaki, 1998. "A Markovian Framework in Multi-Factor Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 423-440, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-09, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:14:y:2007:i:5:p:365-399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.