Expiration day effects of index futures and options: evidence from a market with a long settlement period
This study examines index futures and options expiration day effects on the Swedish market. While the results for the period 1988-1998 indicate that trading volumes on the cash market were significantly higher on expiration days than on other days, no evidence suggesting that price distortions occurred is found. This could be due to the longer settlement period on the Swedish market, compared with that on the Canadian, German, and the US markets, where price distortions have been documented. However, some price distortion may have been experienced for the first half of the sample period, a finding which the cause for is discussed.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Louis T W & Fung, Joseph K W & Pang, Castor, 1998. "Early Unwinding Strategy in Index Options-Futures Arbitrage," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(4), pages 447-67, Winter.
- Anthony F. Herbst & Edwin D. Maberly, 1990. "Stock index futures, expiration day volatility, and the “special” friday opening: A note," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 323-325, 06.
- Day, Theodore E. & Lewis, Craig M., 1988. "The behavior of the volatility implicit in the prices of stock index options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 103-122, October.
- Jain, Prem C. & Joh, Gun-Ho, 1988. "The Dependence between Hourly Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 269-283, September.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. "Arbitrage in Stock Index Futures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S7-31, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:6:p:385-396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.