Can intervention indices detect central bank's actual intervention behaviour?
This article employs the Weymark (1997) and Baig et al. (2003) models to evaluate the central bank's intervention behaviour and utilizes ex post intervention news to check the models' estimation results. Empirical results show that the Baig et al. model's evaluation performance in intervention behaviour is inferior to the Weymark model. The scale of intervention index is not an excellent indicator to detect intervention behaviour. Intervention indices and intervention news all support that the intervention frequency in expansion period is higher than in recession period and in face of fatal events the intervention exhibits cluster phenomenon.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher J. Neely, 2005.
"An analysis of recent studies of the effect of foreign exchange intervention,"
2005-030, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2005. "An analysis of recent studies of the effect of foreign exchange intervention," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 685-718.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-48, September.
- Evan Tanner, 1999.
"Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy; Asia and Latin America in the 1990s,"
IMF Working Papers
99/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Evan Tanner, 2001. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy: Asia and Latin America in the 1990s," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(3), pages 2.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Weymark, Diana N, 1997. "Measuring the degree of exchange market intervention in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-79, February.
- Fischer, Andreas M., 2006.
"On the inadequacy of newswire reports for empirical research on foreign exchange interventions,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1226-1240, December.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2005. "On the Inadequacy of Newswire Reports for Empirical Research on Foreign Exchange Interventions," Working Papers 2005-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Takatoshi Ito, 2007. "Myths and reality of foreign exchange interventions: an application to Japan," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 133-154.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen & Kenshi Taketa, 2007. "Assessment Of Weymark'S Measures Of Exchange Market Intervention: The Case Of Japan," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 545-558, December.
- Baig, Mirza Allim & Narasimhan, V. & Ramachandran, M., 2003. "Exchange market pressure and the Reserve Bank of India's intervention activity," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 727-748, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:17:y:2010:i:15:p:1525-1530. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.