Is per capita real GDP stationary in African countries? Evidence from panel SURADF test
This note uses the newly developed panel SURADF tests advanced by Breuer et al. (2001) to investigate the time-series properties of real GDP for 47 African countries for the period 1980 to 2004. While the other Panel-based unit root tests are joint tests of a unit root for all members of the panel and are incapable of determining the mix of I(0) and I(1) series in the panel setting, the Panel SURADF tests a separate unit-root null hypothesis for each individual panel member and, therefore identifies how many and which series in the panel are stationary processes. The empirical results from several panel-based unit root tests indicate that the per capita real GDP for all the countries studied are non-stationary, however, when Breuer et al.'s Panel SURADF tests are conducted, one finds unit root in per capita real GDP only exist in two-third of countries studied. These results have important policy implications for African countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998.
"The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997. "The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Breuer, Janice Boucher & McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S, 2001. "Misleading Inferences from Panel Unit-Root Tests with an Illustration from Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 482-93, August.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 2002.
"Output dynamics of the G7 countries--stochastic trends and cyclical movements,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2239-2247.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 1999. "Output Dynamics of the G7 Countries - Stochastic Trends and Cyclical Movements," CESifo Working Paper Series 220, CESifo Group Munich.
- David E. Rapach, 2002. "Are Real GDP Levels Nonstationary? Evidence from Panel Data Tests," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 473-495, January.
- Tsangyao Chang & Yuan-Hong Ho & Steven Caudill, 2010. "Is per capita real GDP stationary in China? More powerful nonlinear (logistic) unit root tests," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(14), pages 1347-1349.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:13:y:2006:i:15:p:1003-1008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.