Bilateral intra-industry trade flows and intellectual property rights protection: first empirical evidence
This study provides the first empirical evidence on the effects of intellectual property rights (IPRs) protection on bilateral intra-industry trade (IIT) flows. The empirical investigation is based on pooled South African data and takes advantage of the theoretical distinction between horizontal and vertical IIT. A gravity equation of international trade is estimated in the context of fixed and random effects models. The principal findings suggest that IPRs and imitation abilities separately are not important factors in determining IIT flows. However, the interaction between them is important.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Choudhry & A. Abu-Bakar & P. Wylie, 2000. "A yen bloc in Pacific Asia: natural economic symbiosis or overblown rhetorics?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 215-218.
- John Thornton & Alessandro Goglio, 2002. "Regional bias and intra-regional trade in southeast Asia," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 205-208.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," Seminar Papers 678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," NBER Working Papers 7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marius Brulhart & Michael Thorpe, 2000. "Intra-industry trade and adjustment in Malaysia: puzzling evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(11), pages 729-733.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Johan Torstensson, 1996. "Can factor proportions explain vertical intra-industry trade?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(5), pages 307-309.
- Subhash Sharma & Soo Chua, 2000. "ASEAN: economic integration and intra-regional trade," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 165-169.
- Smith, Pamela J., 1999. "Are weak patent rights a barrier to U.S. exports?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 151-177, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:12:y:2005:i:13:p:823-828. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.