The openness-inflation puzzle revisited
Dynamic panel estimates show the negative relation between trade openness and inflation found by Romer (Quarterly Journal of Economics, (VIII, 869-903, 1993) but questioned by Terra (Quarterly Journal of Economics, (XIII, 641-48, 1998) became more robust in the 1990s, both among high income OECD and developing countries. Trade openness was also associated with less variable inflation during the 1990s and had a stronger disinflation effect in economies with floating exchange rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Romer, 1991.
"Openness and inflation: theory and evidence,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Maria Cristina Terra, 1995.
"Openess and inflation: a new assessment,"
Textos para discussão
339, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Christopher Bowdler, 2003.
"Openness and the Output-Inflation Tradeoff,"
2003-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Christopher Bowdler, 2004. "Openness and the output-inflation tradeoff," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 7, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Lane, Philip R., 1997. "Inflation in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 327-347, May.
- Guender, Alfred V. & McCaw, Sharon, 2000. "The inflationary bias in a model of the open economy: a note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 173-178, August.
- David Romer, 1998. "A New Assessment Of Openness And Inflation: Reply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 649-652, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:11:y:2004:i:8:p:465-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.