The openness-inflation puzzle revisited
Dynamic panel estimates show the negative relation between trade openness and inflation found by Romer (1993) but questioned by Terra (1998) became more robust in the 1990s, both among high income OECD and developing countries. Also during the 1990s, openness was associated with less variable inflation and had a stronger disinflation effect in economies with floating exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dallasfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Bowdler, 2003.
"Openness and the Output-Inflation Tradeoff,"
2003-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Christopher Bowdler, 2004. "Openness and the output-inflation tradeoff," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 7, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- David Romer, 1998. "A New Assessment Of Openness And Inflation: Reply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 649-652, May.
- Maria Cristina Terra, 1995.
"Openess and inflation: a new assessment,"
Textos para discussão
339, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Romer, David, 1993.
"Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 869-903, November.
- Guender, Alfred V. & McCaw, Sharon, 2000. "The inflationary bias in a model of the open economy: a note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 173-178, August.
- Lane, Philip R., 1997. "Inflation in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 327-347, May.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:feddcl:0203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Delia Rodriguez to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.