The openness-inflation puzzle revisited
Dynamic panel estimates show the negative relation between trade openness and inflation found by Romer (1993) but questioned by Terra (1998) became more robust in the 1990s, both among high income OECD and developing countries. Also during the 1990s, openness was associated with less variable inflation and had a stronger disinflation effect in economies with floating exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dallasfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Guender, Alfred V. & McCaw, Sharon, 2000. "The inflationary bias in a model of the open economy: a note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 173-178, August.
- David Romer, 1998. "A New Assessment of Openness and Inflation: Reply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(2), pages 649-652.
- David Romer, 1993. "Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 869-903.
- David Romer, 1991. "Openness and inflation: theory and evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- David Romer, 1991. "Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cristina T. Terra, 1998. "Openness and Inflation: A New Assessment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(2), pages 641-648.
- Maria Cristina Terra, 1995. "Openess and inflation: a new assessment," Textos para discussão 339, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Lane, Philip R., 1997. "Inflation in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 327-347, May.
- Christopher Bowdler, 2003. "Openness and the Output-Inflation Tradeoff," Economics Papers 2003-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Christopher Bowdler, 2004. "Openness and the output-inflation tradeoff," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 7, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:feddcl:0203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.