Luenberger and Malmquist productivity indices in Japan, 1955-1995
The Luenberger productivity index can simultaneously contract inputs and expand outputs, and is dual to profit maximization. The index is a generalization of the Malmquist productivity index, which is commonly used in productivity studies. Both the Luenberger and Malmquist productivity indices are applied to the prefectural level data in Japan over 1955-1995. If profit maximization assumption is more appropriate than revenue maximization, Malmquist productivity index overestimates productivity changes, since it provides nearly twice growth rate compared to the rate given by the Luenberger productivity index.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Jean-Christophe Poutineau, 2003. "Luenberger and Malmquist Productivity Indices: Theoretical Comparisons and Empirical Illustration," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 391-405, October.
- "Fukao, Kyoji" & "Yue, Ximing", 2000. "Regional Factor Inputs and Convergence in Japan―How Much Can We Apply Closed Economy Neoclassical Growth Models?―," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(2), pages 136-151, April.
- Robert G. Chambers, 2002. "Exact nonradial input, output, and productivity measurement," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 751-765.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1996. "Productivity Growth in APEC Countries," Working Papers 197843, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:10:y:2003:i:9:p:581-584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.