African economies and the Kuznets curve: an exploratory investigation
This article examines the relationship between income inequality and economic development in a cross-section of countries. It estimates, on a small exploratory sample, an explicit Kuznets-type inequality relationship where inequality between skilled and unskilled labour is a function of the determinants of growth implied by a standard neoclassical growth model. Parameter estimates suggest that sub-Saharan African Economies are dualistic and are situated on the segment of the Kuznets' curve where inequality increases with respect to development.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Patrick Vanhoudt, 2000.
"An assessment of the macroeconomic determinants of inequality,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 877-883.
- Vanhoudt, Patrick, 1998. "An Assessment of the Macroeconomic Determinants of Inequality," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 271, Stockholm School of Economics.
- VANHOUDT, Patrick, 1997. "An assessment of the macroeconomic determinants of inequality," SESO Working Papers 1997007, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Sachs, J-D & Warner, A-M, 1996.
"Sources of Slow Growth in African Economies,"
545, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1995.
"Inequality and Development: The Role of Dualism,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-32, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jonathan R. W. Temple, 1998. "Robustness tests of the augmented Solow model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 361-375.
- Stephen Knowles, 2005.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Empirical Relationship Reconsidered in the Light of Comparable Data,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 135-159.
- Knowles, Stephen, 2001. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Empirical Relationship Reconsidered in the Light of Comparable Data," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1999. "Inequality, Growth, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:10:y:2003:i:12:p:747-751. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.