Globalization and Economic Inequality in the Short and Long Run: The Case of South Korea 1975-1995
We have analyzed the determinants of the Gini coefficient for income and expenditure. In both cases, we do not find support for the Kuznets inverted-U hypothesis. From economic globalization viewpoint, the opening of goods markets reduces income inequality both in the short run (the Gini coefficient for income) and in the long run (the Gini coefficient for expenditure). On the other hand, the opening of capital markets increases income inequality both in the short and long run, but the latter is not statistically significant. These results suggest that the effect of economic globalization has two routes and two different speeds to affect income inequality.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nissanke, Machiko & Thorbecke, Erik, 2006. "Channels and policy debate in the globalization-inequality-poverty nexus," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1338-1360, August.
- Dollar, David, 2004.
"Globalization, poverty, and inequality since 1980,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3333, The World Bank.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Vanhoudt, 2000.
"An assessment of the macroeconomic determinants of inequality,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 877-883.
- VANHOUDT, Patrick, 1997. "An assessment of the macroeconomic determinants of inequality," SESO Working Papers 1997007, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Vanhoudt, Patrick, 1998. "An Assessment of the Macroeconomic Determinants of Inequality," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 271, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1993.
"Intertemporal Choice and Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
4328, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Gelan & G. N. Price, 2003. "African economies and the Kuznets curve: an exploratory investigation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(12), pages 747-751.
- Blejer, Mario I & Guerrero, Isabel, 1990. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Income Distribution: An Empirical Study of the Philippines," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 414-23, August.
- Jong-Eun Lee, 2006. "Does globalization matter to income distribution in Asia?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(13), pages 851-855.
- Shujie Yao, 2006. "On economic growth, FDI and exports in China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 339-351.
- Changkyu Choi, 2006. "Does foreign direct investment affect domestic income inequality?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(12), pages 811-814.
- Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1997.
"Globalization and Inequality, Past and Present,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 12(2), pages 117-35, August.
- Fukushige, Mototsugu, 1996. "Annual redistribution and lifetime redistribution," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 269-273, September.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Fukushige, Mototsugu, 1989. "A new approach to the economic inequality based upon the permanent income hypothesis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 183-187.
- Fields, Gary S & Yoo, Gyeongjoon, 2000. "Falling Labor Income Inequality in Korea's Economic Growth: Patterns and Underlying Causes," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(2), pages 139-59, June.
- Papanek, Gustav F. & Kyn, Oldrich, 1986. "The effect on income distribution of development, the growth rate and economic strategy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-65, September.
- Kang Park, 1998. "Distribution and growth: cross-country evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 943-949.
- Almas Heshmati, 2006. "Conditional and unconditional inequality and growth relationships," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(14), pages 925-931.
- Beyer, Harald & Rojas, Patricio & Vergara, Rodrigo, 1999. "Trade liberalization and wage inequality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 103-123, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:0743. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.