The Re-Emerging Role of the State in Contemporary Russia
I examine ownership structure of Russian firms during the 1998–2006 period, where a greater emphasis is placed on motivations behind increased government ownership in the latter years, when oligarchs’ opportunistic influence on the firm diminished as state ownership correspondingly increased. As this phenomenon is also correlated with improved corporate growth during the period, I argue that state participation in corporate governance acted as an effective substitute mechanism to constrain wealth-tunnelling behaviour of corporate insiders and local bureaucrats in a country defined by a weak property rights system. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112913|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuznetsov, Pavel & Muravyev, Alexander, 2001.
"Ownership Structure and Firm Performance in Russia: The Case of Blue Chips of the Stock Market,"
27231, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kouznetsov Pavel & Muravyev Alexander, 2001. "Ownership Structure and Firm Performance in Russia: The Case of Blue Chips of the Stock Market," EERC Working Paper Series 01-10e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Andrzej Rapaczynski, 1996. "The Roles of the State and the Market in Establishing Property Rights," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 87-103, Spring.
- Sergei Guriev & Andrei Rachinsky, 2005.
"The Role of Oligarchs in Russian Capitalism,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1cu21pio6c9, Sciences Po.
- repec:ebd:wpaper:70 is not listed on IDEAS
- Puffer, Sheila M. & McCarthy, Daniel J., 2003. "The emergence of corporate governance in Russia," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 284-298, November.
- Sylvain Rossiaud & Catherine Locatelli, 2009. "The obstacles in the way of stabilising the Russian oil model," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 425-438.
- Fox, Merritt & Heller, Michael, 2000. "Lesson from Fiascos in Russian Corporate Governance," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt42z3f7z0, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:trstrv:v:19:y:2012:i:1:p:23-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.