Intertemporal and spatial location of disposal facilities
The optimal capacity and location of a sequence of landfills are studied, and the interactions between both decisions are pointed out. Deciding the capacity of a landfill has some spatial implications, because it effects the feasible region for the rest of the landfills, and some temporal implications because the capacity determines the lifetime of the landfill and hence the instant of time where the next landfills will need to be constructed. Some general mathematical properties of the solution are provided and interpreted from an economic point of view. The resulting problem turns out to be nonconvex and, therefore, it can not be solved by conventional optimization techniques. Some global optimization methods are used to solve the problem in a particular case to illustrate the behavior of the solution depending on the parameter values.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen K. Swallow & James J. Opaluch & Thomas F. Weaver, 1992. "Siting Noxious Facilities: An Approach That Integrates Technical, Economic, and Political Considerations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 283-301.
- Francisco André & Emilio Cerdá, 2004.
"Landfill Construction and Capacity Expansion,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(4), pages 409-434, August.
- Howard Kunreuther & Doug Easterling, 1996. "The role of compensation in siting hazardous facilities," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 601-622.
- Ready Mark J. & Ready Richard C., 1995. "Optimal Pricing of Depletable, Replaceable Resources: The Case of Landfill Tipping Fees," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 307-323, May.
- Anni Huhtala, 1997. "A Post-Consumer Waste Management Model for Determining Optimal Levels of Recycling and Landfilling," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 10(3), pages 301-314, October.
- Hartwick, John M. & Kemp, Murray C. & Van Long, Ngo, 1986.
"Set-up costs and theory of exhaustible resources,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 212-224, September.
- Gerard Gaudet & Michel Moreaux & Stephen W. Salant, 2001. "Intertemporal Depletion of Resource Sites by Spatially Distributed Users," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1149-1159, September.
- C. O. Fong & V. Srinivasan, 1986. "The Multiregion Dynamic Capacity Expansion Problem: An Improved Heuristic," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1140-1152, September.
- Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M. & Salant, S.W., 1997.
"Intertemporal and Spatial Depletion of Landfills,"
97-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- GAUDET, Gérard & MOREAUX, Michel & SALANT, Stephen W., 1997. "Intertemporal and Spatial Depletion of Landfills," Cahiers de recherche 9718, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M. & Salant, S.W., 1997. "Intertemporal and Spatial Depletion of Landfills," Cahiers de recherche 9718, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- ReVelle, C. S. & Eiselt, H. A., 2005. "Location analysis: A synthesis and survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 1-19, August.
- David N. Beede & David E. Bloom, 1995. "Economics of the Generation and Management of Municipal Solid Waste," NBER Working Papers 5116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- P. Hansen & D. Peeters & J.-F. Thisse, 1982. "An Algorithm for a Constrained Weber Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1285-1295, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:specre:v:11:y:2009:i:1:p:23-49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.