Intertemporal and spatial location of disposal facilities
This paper studies the optimal capacity and location of a sequence of landfills and points out the interactions between both decisions. The decision capacity has some spatial implications, because it afects the feasible region for the rest of landfills, and some temporal mplications, because the capacity determines the lifetime of the landfill and hence the instant of time where next landfills will need to be constructed. Some general properties of the solution are provided and interpreted from an economic point of view. The resulting problem turns out to be non-convex and therefore it can not be solved by conventional optimization techniques. Some global optimization methods are used to solve the problem in a particular case, in order to illustrate the behavior of the solution depending on parameter values
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://spaneconrev.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10108?detailsPage=societies|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David N. Beede & David E. Bloom, 1995. "Economics of the Generation and Management of Municipal Solid Waste," NBER Working Papers 5116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- ReVelle, C. S. & Eiselt, H. A., 2005. "Location analysis: A synthesis and survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 1-19, August.
- John Hartwick & Murray Kemp & Ngo van Long, 1980.
"Set-up Costs and Theory of Exhaustible Resources,"
412, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Howard Kunreuther & Doug Easterling, 1996. "The role of compensation in siting hazardous facilities," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 601-622.
- C. O. Fong & V. Srinivasan, 1986. "The Multiregion Dynamic Capacity Expansion Problem: An Improved Heuristic," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1140-1152, September.
- P. Hansen & D. Peeters & J.-F. Thisse, 1982. "An Algorithm for a Constrained Weber Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1285-1295, November.
- Stephen K. Swallow & James J. Opaluch & Thomas F. Weaver, 1992. "Siting Noxious Facilities: An Approach That Integrates Technical, Economic, and Political Considerations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 283-301.
- Andre, F.J. & Cerda, E., 2003.
"Landfill Construction and Capacity Expansion,"
2003-115, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- GAUDET, Gérard & MOREAUX, Michel & SALANT, Stephen W., 1997.
"Intertemporal and Spatial Depletion of Landfills,"
Cahiers de recherche
9718, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M. & Salant, S.W., 1997. "Intertemporal and Spatial Depletion of Landfills," Papers 97-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M. & Salant, S.W., 1997. "Intertemporal and Spatial Depletion of Landfills," Cahiers de recherche 9718, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ready Mark J. & Ready Richard C., 1995. "Optimal Pricing of Depletable, Replaceable Resources: The Case of Landfill Tipping Fees," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 307-323, May.
- Gerard Gaudet & Michel Moreaux & Stephen W. Salant, 2001. "Intertemporal Depletion of Resource Sites by Spatially Distributed Users," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1149-1159, September.
- Anni Huhtala, 1997. "A Post-Consumer Waste Management Model for Determining Optimal Levels of Recycling and Landfilling," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 10(3), pages 301-314, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:specre:v:11:y:2009:i:1:p:23-49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.