Electoral Participation: How to Measure Voter Turnout?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Christine Fauvelle-Aymar & Abel François, 2006. "The impact of closeness on turnout: An empirical relation based on a study of a two-round ballot," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 127(3), pages 461-483, June.
- McDonald, Michael P. & Popkin, Samuel L., 2001. "The Myth of the Vanishing Voter," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 95(4), pages 963-974, December.
- Daniel Stockemer, 2011. "Women's Parliamentary Representation in Africa: The Impact of Democracy and Corruption on the Number of Female Deputies in National Parliaments," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 59(3), pages 693-712, October.
- David Brockington, 2004. "The Paradox of Proportional Representation: The Effect of Party Systems and Coalitions on Individuals' Electoral Participation," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 52, pages 469-490, October.
- Powell, G. Bingham, 1986. "American Voter Turnout in Comparative Perspective," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 80(1), pages 17-43, March.
- Jackman, Robert W., 1987. "Political Institutions and Voter Turnout in the Industrial Democracies," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 81(2), pages 405-423, June.
- Paul Collier & Pedro Vicente, 2012. "Violence, bribery, and fraud: the political economy of elections in Sub-Saharan Africa," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 153(1), pages 117-147, October.
- Christine Fauvelle-Aymar & Mary Stegmaier, 2006. "European parliament electoral turnout in Post-Communist Europe," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques j06004, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Csaba Nikolenyi, 2010. "Concurrent Elections and Voter Turnout: The Effect of the De-linking of State Elections on Electoral Participation in India's Parliamentary Polls, 1971-2004," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 58, pages 214-233, February.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Margarita Batlle (Editora), 2015. "Elecciones 2014 en Colombia: candidatos, estrategias y resultados," Books, Universidad Externado de Colombia, Facultad de Finanzas, Gobierno y Relaciones Internacionales, edition 1, number 94, January.
- Gäbler, Stefanie & Potrafke, Niklas & Rösel, Felix, 2017.
"Compulsory Voting, Voter Turnout and Asymmetrical Habit-formation,"
VfS Annual Conference 2017 (Vienna): Alternative Structures for Money and Banking
168074, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Stefanie Gäbler & Niklas Potrafke & Felix Rösel, 2017. "Compulsory Voting, Voter Turnout and Asymmetrical Habit-formation," CESifo Working Paper Series 6764, CESifo.
- Adalbert Abraham Ghislain Melingui Bate, 2020. "The effect of education on voter's turnout in african presidential elections," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 40(2), pages 1607-1622.
- Mueller, Dennis C. & Stratmann, Thomas, 2003. "The economic effects of democratic participation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2129-2155, September.
- Danny Hayes & Seth C. McKee, 2009. "The Participatory Effects of Redistricting," American Journal of Political Science, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 53(4), pages 1006-1023, October.
- Herrera, Helios & Llorente-Saguer, Aniol & McMurray, Joseph C., 2019.
"Information aggregation and turnout in proportional representation: A laboratory experiment,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 179(C).
- Herrera, Helios & Llorente-Saguer, Aniol & McMurray, Joseph C., 2018. "Information Aggregation and Turnout in Proportional Representation: A Laboratory Experiment," CEPR Discussion Papers 13280, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martins, Rodrigo & Veiga, Francisco José, 2014.
"Does voter turnout affect the votes for the incumbent government?,"
European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 274-286.
- Rodrigo Martins & Francisco José Veiga, 2013. "Does voter turnout affect the votes for the incumbent government?," NIPE Working Papers 15/2013, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Rodrigo Martins & Francisco José Veiga, 2013. "Does Voter Turnout Affect the Votes for the Incumbent Government?," GEMF Working Papers 2013-20, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Allison Dale & Aaron Strauss, 2009. "Don't Forget to Vote: Text Message Reminders as a Mobilization Tool," American Journal of Political Science, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 53(4), pages 787-804, October.
- Rachel Milstein Sondheimer & Donald P. Green, 2010. "Using Experiments to Estimate the Effects of Education on Voter Turnout," American Journal of Political Science, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 54(1), pages 174-189, January.
- Alber, Jens & Kohler, Ulrich, 2008. "The inequality of electoral participation in Europe and America and the politically integrative functions of the welfare state," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Inequality and Social Integration SP I 2008-202, WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
- Vincent Mahler, 2002. "Exploring the Subnational Dimension of Income Inequality: An Analysis of the Relationship between Inequality and Electoral Turnout in the Developed Countries," LIS Working papers 292, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Knack, Stephen & James, White, 2000. "Election-day registration and turnout inequality," MPRA Paper 27244, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Melo, 2003. "Colombia: Los problemas de competitividad de un país en conflicto," Research Department Publications 1002, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Dmitriy Vorobyev, 2016. "Participation in fraudulent elections," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 46(4), pages 863-892, April.
- repec:gig:joupla:v:1:y:2009:i:1:p:97-122 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alejandro Corvalan, 2011. "Institutional Design aganist Electoral Participation: the case of Chile," Working Papers 32, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Knack, Stephen, 1998. "Election Day Registration: The Second Wave," MPRA Paper 25011, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1999.
- Fielding, David, 2018. "The geography of violence during a presidential election: Evidence from Zimbabwe," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 538-558.
- Rodrigo Martins & Francisco Veiga, 2013. "Economic performance and turnout at national and local elections," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 157(3), pages 429-448, December.
- Gaebler, Stefanie & Potrafke, Niklas & Roesel, Felix, 2020.
"Compulsory voting and political participation: Empirical evidence from Austria,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(C).
- Stefanie Gäbler & Niklas Potrafke & Felix Rösel, 2019. "Compulsory Voting and Political Participation: Empirical Evidence from Austria," ifo Working Paper Series 315, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Abel François & Olivier Gergaud, 2019.
"Is civic duty the solution to the paradox of voting?,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 180(3), pages 257-283, September.
- Abel François & Olivier Gergaud, 2019. "Is civic duty the solution to the paradox of voting?," Post-Print hal-02501160, HAL.
More about this item
KeywordsVEP turnout; RV turnout; VAP turnout; Measurement; Elections; Concept formation;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:133:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11205-016-1410-6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.