Multi-Poverty in Cameroon: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach
The primary objective of this study is to capture multi-poverty with values for welfare dimensions rather than the typical approach of a composite welfare indicator. The method used to explain, measure and calculate the scores for five dimensions of welfare is Structural Equation Modeling. Poverty analysis methods applied on these scores show that each type of poverty has specific determinants, although some determinants are common to several dimensions of poverty. Similarly, each region is affected by particular types of poverty while no form of poverty is unique to a single region. We thus propose to target multi-poverty via dimensional scores to formulate policy. A comparison with previous approaches shows that dimensional scores are more appropriate for identifying the specific needs of the population in the fight against poverty. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
Volume (Year): 113 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Poor, Relatively Speaking," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 153-169, July.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4745 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krishnakumar, Jaya & Ballon, Paola, 2008. "Estimating Basic Capabilities: A Structural Equation Model Applied to Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 992-1010, June.
- Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2005. "Les multiples facettes de la pauvreté dans un pays en développement. Le cas de la capitale malgache," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 383(1), pages 131-155.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2004.
"Measuring Poverty Reduction and Targeting Performance Under Multiple Government Programs,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 573-582, November.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2001. "Measuring Poverty Reduction and Targeting Performance Under Multiple Government Programs," Cahiers de recherche 01-05, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "The Capability Approach: a theoretical survey," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 93-117.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003. "The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998. "The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty," DELTA Working Papers 98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Park, Albert & Wang, Sangui & Wu, Guobao, 2002. "Regional poverty targeting in China," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 123-153, October.
- Kenneth Bollen & Albert Maydeu-Olivares, 2007. "A Polychoric Instrumental Variable (PIV) Estimator for Structural Equation Models with Categorical Variables," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 72(3), pages 309-326, September.
- Bert Green, 1976. "On the factor score controversy," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 41(2), pages 263-266, June.
- Jaya Krishnakumar, 2007. "Going Beyond Functionings to Capabilities: An Econometric Model to Explain and Estimate Capabilities," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 39-63.
- Jaya Krishnakumar, 2004. "Going Beyond Functionings to Capabilities : an Econometric Model to Explain and Estimate Capabilities," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2004.12, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Roderick McDonald & E. Burr, 1967. "A comparison of four methods of constructing factor scores," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 32(4), pages 381-401, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:113:y:2013:i:1:p:159-181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.