Hedonic games related to many-to-one matching problems
We consider the existence problem of stable matchings in many-to-one matching problems. Unlike other approaches which use algorithmic techniques to give necessary and sufficient conditions, we adopt a game theoretic point of view. We first associate, with each many-to-one matching problem, a hedonic game to take advantage of recent results guaranteeing the existence of core-partitions for that class of games, to build up our conditions. The main result states that a many-to-one matching problem, with no restrictions on individual preferences, has stable* matchings if and only if a related hedonic game is pivotally balanced. In the case that the preferences in the matching problem are substitutable, the notions of stability and stability* coincide. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 39 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinko Dimitrov & Emiliya Lazarova, 2008. "Coalitional Matchings," Working Papers 2008.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Jackson, Matthew O., 2002. "The Stability of Hedonic Coalition Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 201-230, February.
- Vincent Iehlé, 2005.
"The core-partition of hedonic games,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b05091, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Iehlé, Vincent, 2007. "The Core-Partition of Hedonic Games," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/87, Paris Dauphine University.
- Vincent Iehlé, 2005. "The core-partition of hedonic games," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00197528, HAL.
- Federico Echenique & Jorge Oviedo, 2003.
"Core Many-to-one Matchings by Fixed-point Methods,"
Game Theory and Information
- Tayfun Sönmez & Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi, 2001.
"Core in a simple coalition formation game,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 135-153.
- Iehle, Vincent, 2007. "The core-partition of a hedonic game," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 176-185, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:39:y:2012:i:4:p:737-749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.