Monotone dependence in graphical models for multivariate Markov chains
We show that a deeper insight into the relations among marginal processes of a multivariate Markov chain can be gained by testing hypotheses of Granger noncausality, contemporaneous independence and monotone dependence. Granger noncausality and contemporaneous independence conditions are read off a mixed graph, and the dependence of an univariate component of the chain on its parents—according to the graph terminology—is described in terms of stochastic dominance criteria. The examined hypotheses are proven to be equivalent to equality and inequality constraints on some parameters of a multivariate logistic model for the transition probabilities. The introduced hypotheses are tested on real categorical time series. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Volume (Year): 76 (2013)
Issue (Month): 7 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102509|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Richardson, 2003. "Markov Properties for Acyclic Directed Mixed Graphs," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(1), pages 145-157.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "The General Equivalence of Granger and Sims Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 569-81, May.
- Steen A. Andersson, 2001. "Alternative Markov Properties for Chain Graphs," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 28(1), pages 33-85.
- Anna Gottard, 2007. "On the inclusion of bivariate marked point processes in graphical models," Metrika, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 269-287, November.
- Eichler, Michael, 2007. "Granger causality and path diagrams for multivariate time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 334-353, April.
- Colombi, R. & Giordano, S., 2012. "Graphical models for multivariate Markov chains," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 107(C), pages 90-103.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:metrik:v:76:y:2013:i:7:p:873-885. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.