Testing for infinite order stochastic dominance with applications to finance, risk and income inequality
The authors develop a test of infinite degree stochastic dominance based on the use of the empirical moment generating function. Two applications are considered. One uses the income data of Anderson (Econometrica, 1996) and derives results consistent with his. In the other application, the dominance between the US and UK stockmarkets is examined. Using data on the S&P 500 and the FTALL-Share, it is shown that the US displays infinite degree stochastic dominance over the UK.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/120857/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, Anthony F & Foster, James E, 1987. "Transfer Sensitive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 485-97, July.
- DAVIDSON, Russell & DUCLOS, Jean-Yves, 1995.
"Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidences of Taxes and Transfers,"
Cahiers de recherche
9521, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 1997. "Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1453-1466, November.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.Y., 1995. "Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 95a30, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.Y., 1995. "Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers," Papers 9521, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Pratt, John W & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1987. "Proper Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 143-54, January.
- Scott, Robert C & Horvath, Philip A, 1980. " On the Direction of Preference for Moments of Higher Order Than the Variance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 915-19, September.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975, March.
- Jiang, George J & Knight, John L, 2002. "Estimation of Continuous-Time Processes via the Empirical Characteristic Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 198-212, April.
- Anderson, Gordon, 1996. "Nonparametric Tests of Stochastic Dominance in Income Distributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1183-93, September.
- Knight, John L. & Yu, Jun, 2002. "Empirical Characteristic Function In Time Series Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 691-721, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jecfin:v:32:y:2008:i:1:p:35-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.