Greener homes: an ex-post estimate of the cost of carbon dioxide emission reduction using administrative micro-data from the Republic of Ireland
We assess the subsidy for the installation of biomass boilers and wood gasification boilers under the Greener Homes Scheme in Ireland. We find that the (implicit) subsidy per tonne of carbon dioxide avoided varies hugely across households. The current policy costs 17% too much for the emissions avoided, or avoids 17% too few emissions for the money spent. The subsidy reduces welfare (including environmental benefits) by 42%.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.seeps.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Babiker, Mustafa H. & Metcalf, Gilbert E. & Reilly, John, 2003.
"Tax distortions and global climate policy,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 269-287, September.
- Mustafa H. Babiker & Gilbert E. Metcalf & John Reilly, 2002. "Tax Distortions and Global Climate Policy," NBER Working Papers 9136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mustafa H. Babiker & Gilbert E. Metcalf & John Reilly, 2002. "Tax Distortions and Global Climate Policy," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0211, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Gilbert Metcalf, 2009.
"Tax Policies for Low-Carbon Technologies,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0733, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- O'Doherty, Joe & Lyons, Sean & Tol, Richard S.J., 2008.
"Energy-using appliances and energy-saving features: Determinants of ownership in Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 85(7), pages 650-662, July.
- Joe O'Doherty & Seán Lyons & Richard S. J. Tol, 2007. "Energy-Using Appliances and Energy-Saving Features: Determinants of Ownership in Ireland," Papers WP219, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Jenkins, D.P., 2010. "The value of retrofitting carbon-saving measures into fuel poor social housing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 832-839, February.
- Richard S. J. Tol, 2009. "The Economic Effects of Climate Change," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 29-51, Spring.
- Clinch, J. Peter & Healy, John D., 2001. "Cost-benefit analysis of domestic energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 113-124, January.
- Wasi, Nada & Carson, Richard T., 2013.
"The influence of rebate programs on the demand for water heaters: The case of New South Wales,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 645-656.
- Wasi, Nada & Carson, Richard T., 2011. "The Influence of Rebate Programs on the Demand for Water Heaters: The Case of New South Wales," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 100731, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Scott, S., 1997. "Household energy efficiency in Ireland: A replication study of ownership of energy saving items," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 187-208, May.
- Leahy, Eimear & Lyons, Sean, 2010.
"Energy use and appliance ownership in Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4265-4279, August.
- Mills, Bradford F. & Schleich, Joachim, 2009. "Profits or preferences? Assessing the adoption of residential solar thermal technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 4145-4154, October.
- Amstalden, Roger W. & Kost, Michael & Nathani, Carsten & Imboden, Dieter M., 2007. "Economic potential of energy-efficient retrofitting in the Swiss residential building sector: The effects of policy instruments and energy price expectations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1819-1829, March.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "On Taxation and the Control of Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 307-22, June.
- FitzGerald, John & Bergin, Adele & Conefrey, Thomas & Diffney, Sean & Duffy, David & Kearney, Ide & Lyons, Sean & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura & Mayor, Karen & Richard S. J. Tol, 2008. "Medium-Term Review 2008-2015, No. 11," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR11, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:envpol:v:14:y:2012:i:3:p:219-239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.