Spatial Cournot competition with non-extreme directional constraints
The circular city model and the linear city model are extended to allow for asymmetric directional transportation costs. A two-stage location-then-quantity model is proposed. We show that in the circular city model, maximal dispersion arises in equilibrium, while in the linear city model, the unique equilibrium is represented by both firms agglomerating in a non-central point of the segment. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Volume (Year): 51 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.com/journal/168|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Colombo, 2011. "Spatial price discrimination in the unidirectional Hotelling model with elastic demand," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 157-169, March.
- Lai, Fu-Chuan, 2001. "Sequential locations in directional markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 535-546, September.
- Stefano Colombo, 2009. "The unidirectional Hotelling model with spatial price discrimination," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 3031-3040.
- Nilssen, Tore, 1997.
"Sequential location when transportation costs are asymmetric,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 191-201, February.
- Nilssen, T., 1996. "Sequential Location when Transportation Costs Are Asymmetric," Memorandum 36/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Cancian, Maria & Bills, Angela & Bergstrom, Theodore, 1995. "Hotelling Location Problems with Directional Constraints: An Application to Television News Scheduling," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 121-24, March.
- Kai Andree, 2011. "Product differentiation and spatial agglomeration in a unidirectional Cournot model," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 167-172, October.
- Mohammed Kharbach, 2009. "A Unidirectional Hotelling Model," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1814-1819.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:51:y:2013:i:3:p:761-774. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.