Performance of unit root tests in unbalanced panels: experimental evidence
This paper is about the validity of established panel unit root tests applied to panels in which the individual time series are of different lengths, a case often encountered in practice. Most of the tests considered work well under various types of cross-correlation which is true for both, their application in balanced as well as in unbalanced panels. A Monte Carlo study reveals that in unbalanced panels, procedures involving the computation of individual $$p$$ -values for each cross-section unit (or the combination thereof) are mostly superior to those relying on a pooled Dickey–Fuller regression framework. As the former are able to consider each unit separately, they do not require cutting back the “longer” time series so as to obtain the smallest “balanced” quadrangle which in turn means that no potentially valuable information is lost. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Volume (Year): 97 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112915|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit., 2002.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Panels with Dynamic Factors,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-18, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Moon, H.R.Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit, 2004. "Testing for a unit root in panels with dynamic factors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 81-126, September.
- Hyungsik Roger MOON & Benoit PERRON, 2002. "Testing For A Unit Root In Panels With Dynamic Factors," Cahiers de recherche 18-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- MOON, H.R. & PERRON, Benoit, 2010.
"Beyond Panel Unit Root Tests : Using Multiple Testing to Determine the Non-Stationarity Properties of Individual Series in a Panel,"
Cahiers de recherche
10-2010, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Moon, H.R. & Perron, B., 2012. "Beyond panel unit root tests: Using multiple testing to determine the nonstationarity properties of individual series in a panel," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 29-33.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2011. "Beyond Panel Unit Root Tests: Using Multiple Testing to Determine the Non Stationarity Properties of Individual Series in a Panel," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-17, CIRANO.
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit, 2010. "Beyond Panel Unit Root Tests: Using Multiple Testing to Determine the Non Stationarity Properties of Individual Series in a Panel," Cahiers de recherche 2010-04, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Christoph Hanck, 2013. "An Intersection Test for Panel Unit Roots," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 183-203, February.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A Panic Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
469, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Samarjit Das & Joerg Breitung, 2004.
"Panel Unit Root Tests under Cross- sectional Dependence,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
55, Econometric Society.
- Jörg Breitung & Samarjit Das, 2005. "Panel unit root tests under cross-sectional dependence," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(4), pages 414-433.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Dynamic panel estimation and homogeneity testing under cross section dependence *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 217-259, 06.
- Matei Demetrescu & Uwe Hassler & Adina-Ioana Tarcolea, 2006. "Combining Significance of Correlated Statistics with Application to Panel Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(5), pages 647-663, October.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:alstar:v:97:y:2013:i:3:p:271-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.