The Characteristics of FDI Activities Located in Different Host Regions – A Study Based on Firm-Level Data
Based on a unique firm-level dataset for Swiss MNEs, this paper characterizes FDI activities located in different host regions. The characterization of the FDI activities is based on information on the parent companies, their foreign subsidiaries and the two-way trade flows between parent companies and foreign affiliates. Concretely, the study provides econometric evidence based on multivariate probit estimates about the relationship between a firm’s choice of nine alternative host regions and the type of FDI (horizontal production-oriented, vertical production-oriented, distribution-oriented), a firm’s FDI experience and its capabilities for innovation, respectively. The estimation results indicate that there is low correlation between a firm’s capability for innovation and FDI experience, respectively, and the location of their FDI activities. Further, our estimates indicate large heterogeneity with respect to the type of FDI activities.
Volume (Year): 151 (2015)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 58 631 32 34
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basile, Roberto & Castellani, Davide & Zanfei, Antonello, 2008.
"Location choices of multinational firms in Europe: The role of EU cohesion policy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 328-340, March.
- Roberto Basile & Davide Castellani & Antonello Zanfei, 2007. "Location choices of multinational firms in Europe: the role of EU cohesion policy," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 32/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Moore, Michael O., 2010. "Location decision of heterogeneous multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 188-199, March.
- Maggie Xiaoyang Chen & Michael Owen Moore, 2009. "Location Decisions of Heterogeneous Multinational Firms," Working Papers 2009-17, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Moore, Michael, 2009. "Location decision of heterogeneous multinational firms," MPRA Paper 33482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Lee, Yi, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and location choice of Taiwanese multinationals," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 403-415, December.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2008. "Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1978-1997, December.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006. "Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring," NBER Working Papers 12721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brainard, S Lael, 1997. "An Empirical Assessment of the Proximity-Concentration Trade-off between Multinational Sales and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 520-544, September.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Lee, Yi, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and location choice of Taiwanese multinationals," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 167-179, May.
- Rabin Hattari & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2009. "Understanding bilateral FDI flows in developing Asia," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 23(2), pages 73-93, November.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- William H Davidson, 1980. "The Location of Foreign Direct Investment Activity: Country Characteristics and Experience Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 11(2), pages 9-22, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2015-iv-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.