Macroeconomic Variables and Stock Market Evolution
This study investigates the relationship between local and global macroeconomic factors and stock market indices in Romania using the framework of the macroeconomic APT model. Many researchers have demonstrated that macroeconomic conditions affect risk factors and influence asset returns. However, it is well-known that emerging markets` asset returns are characterized by higher volatility than on developed markets. Using the stepwise analysis method we found some evidence of the effects of exchange rates, interest rates (global), gold price, global stock indices and oil prices on stock returns of the Bucharest Stock Exchange (BSE). We also investigate the effects of macroeconomic factors on the investment firm`s indices, BET-FI. The results of a Vector Autoregressive model (VAR) and Vector Error Correction Model (VECM) indicate the short and long run linkages between macroeconomic variables and BSE indices.
Volume (Year): 60 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 336 2691
Fax: 004 021 3124873
Web page: http://www.revistadestatistica.ro
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syed Abul Basher & Alfred Haug & Perry Sadorsky, 2010.
"Oil Prices, Exchange Rates and Emerging Stock Markets,"
1014, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2010.
- Basher, Syed Abul & Haug, Alfred A. & Sadorsky, Perry, 2012. "Oil prices, exchange rates and emerging stock markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 227-240.
- Basher, Syed Abul & Haug, Alfred A. & Sadorsky, Perry, 2011. "Oil prices, exchange rates and emerging stock markets," MPRA Paper 30140, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Birz, Gene & Lott Jr., John R., 2011. "The effect of macroeconomic news on stock returns: New evidence from newspaper coverage," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2791-2800, November.
- Rangan Gupta & Mampho P. Modise, 2011.
"Macroeconomic Variables and South African Stock Return Predictability,"
201107, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Gupta, Rangan & Modise, Mampho P., 2013. "Macroeconomic Variables and South African Stock Return Predictability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 612-622.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsr:supplm:v:60:y:2012:i:2:p:197-203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrian Visoiu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.