An empirical analysis of the trade balance in postcommunist Albania
In this study we empirically analyze the relationship between real exports and real imports during the postcommunist transition in Albania. The country liberalized its trade in the early 1990s after the fall of communism and has seen its trade deficit increase since then. The continuous deterioration of the country's trade balance can create serious problems for its economy. We employ the ARDL bounds testing approach to a transformed equation derived from the Husted's (1992) model of inter-temporal budget constraint. The data used are annual observations from 1992 to 2012 obtained from the World Development Indicators 2013. Results show that a long term relationship exists between real exports and real imports. In addition, we find that imports grow faster than exports and the country's trade deficit is likely to increase with the increase of imports. More specifically, a 10 percents increase of real imports is accompanied by a 9.61 percents increase of real exports. The rising trade deficit should be a cause of concern for the country's policymakers. They should try to adopt effective export promoting policies as such policies would be particularly suitable in reducing the trade deficit in Albania.
Volume (Year): 7 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bucharest, 6th district, 47 Fabricii Street, Quadra Place, bl.J, fl.1, ap.12|
Web page: http://www.reaser.eu/pgsa/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2006. "Are Imports And Exports In The Oic Member Countries Cointegrated? A Reexamination," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 14(1), pages 49-79, December.
- Perron, Pierre & Rodriguez, Gabriel, 2003.
"GLS detrending, efficient unit root tests and structural change,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 1-27, July.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-836, July.
- Elliott, Graham, 1999. "Efficient Tests for a Unit Root When the Initial Observation Is Drawn from Its Unconditional Distribution," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 767-783, August.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Charalambos Pattichis, 1999. "Price and income elasticities of disaggregated import demand: results from UECMs and an application," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1061-1071.
- KONYA, Laszlo & SINGH, Jai Pal, 2008. "Are Indian Exports And Imports Cointegrated?," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(2), pages 177-186.
- Chee-Keong Choong & Siong-Hook Law & Zulkornain Yusop & Soo Siew Choo, 2005. "Export-led Growth Hypothesis in Malaysia: A Revisit," The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 26-42, November.
- M.Upender, 2007. "Long Run Equilibrium Between Indias’S Exports And Imports During 1949-50 -2004-05," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Verma, Reetu & Perera, Nelson, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis of Sustainability of Trade Deficit:Evidence from Sri Lanka," Economics Working Papers wp08-06, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- PERERA, Nelson & VARMA, Reetu, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis Of Sustainability Of Trade Deficit: Evidence From Sri Lanka," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(1), pages 79-92. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rse:wpaper:v:7:y:2014:i:1:p:33-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuela Epure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.