The Convergence Process in the EU Estimated by Gini Coefficients
At present, there is not an unique indicator to evaluate the converge process. Varying with the assumptions and methodologies considered, with the indicators used and with the periods analysed, the results of the studies on convergence in the European Union are often ambiguous. Some of them support the existence of convergence, others conclude that a convergence process is not yet demonstrated and some authors point out that there is a divergence process. Using the Lorenz curve model and estimating on its basis Gini coefficients for the last decade we demonstrated in this study a significant convergence process in the EU, despite the negative impact of the actual crisis. However, the differences in matter of convergence emerge at the level groups of countries. Thus, while in EU-10 (recently joined countries to the EU) a strong convergence is visible, in EU-15 (old members of EU) a significant trend of divergence was demonstrated.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iancu Aurel, 2006.
"Problema convergenţei economice,"
Romanian Society for Economic Science, Revista OEconomica, issue 04, December.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2010. "Transition, Integration And Convergence - The Case Of Romania -," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 101222, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Pecican, Eugen Stefan, 2009. "Indicatori privind ConvergenÅ£a RealÄƒ ÅŸi aplicaÅ£iilor acestora," Studii Economice 091004, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L, 1972. "The Estimation of the Lorenz Curve and Gini Index," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 306-316, August.
- Aurel IANCU, 2008.
"Real convergence and integration,"
Review of Economic and Business Studies,
Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 1, pages 15-28, December.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2009. "Real Convergence and Integration," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 090102, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.