Financial Information Fraud Risk Warning for Manufacturing Industry - Using Logistic Regression and Neural Network
This study aims to use financial variables, corporate governance variables, and cash flow variables to construct financial information fraud warning models for the manufacturing industry, and applies logistics regression and back propagation neural network (BPNN) to determine the accuracy rate of identifying normal company samples and fraudulent company samples. In a ratio of ‘1:2’, this study collects the data of 96 fraudulent company samples and 192 normal company samples, over a period of 3 years (a total of 288 samples) for prediction. The results indicate that debt ratio and shareholding ratio of board directors are two important financial variables for the identification of manufacturing industry frauds. Logistic regression has better identification capacity than BPNN in both cases of normal and fraudulent company samples. This study provides a set of correct and real-time financial information fraud warning models for the manufacturing industry, which can predict financial information frauds by observing the changes of various financial variables and shareholding ratio of the board directors in real-time. These findings can serve as a reference to financiers and the manufacturing industry for establishing credit policies.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Altman, Edward I. & Marco, Giancarlo & Varetto, Franco, 1994. "Corporate distress diagnosis: Comparisons using linear discriminant analysis and neural networks (the Italian experience)," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 505-529, May.
- Vives,Xavier (ed.), 2006. "Corporate Governance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521032032.
- Li-Chiu Chi & Tseng-Chung Tang, 2006. "Bankruptcy Prediction: Application of Logit Analysis in Export Credit Risks," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 31(1), pages 17-27, June.
- Tseng, Chih-Hsiung & Cheng, Sheng-Tzong & Wang, Yi-Hsien & Peng, Jin-Tang, 2008. "Artificial neural network model of the hybrid EGARCH volatility of the Taiwan stock index option prices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(13), pages 3192-3200.
- Terry J. Ward & Benjamin P. Foster, 1997. "A Note on Selecting a Response Measure for Financial Distress," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 869-879.
- Cochran, James J. & Darrat, Ali F. & Elkhal, Khaled, 2006. "On the bankruptcy of internet companies: An empirical inquiry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1193-1200, October.
- Foreman, R. Dean, 2003. "A logistic analysis of bankruptcy within the US local telecommunications industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 135-166.
- Malhotra, Manoj K. & Sharma, Subhash & Nair, Satish S., 1999. "Decision making using multiple models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Angela J. Black & David G. McMillan, 2004. "Non-linear Predictability of Value and Growth Stocks and Economic Activity," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3-4), pages 439-474.
- Mark E. Wohar & David E. Rapach, 2005. "Valuation ratios and long-horizon stock price predictability," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 327-344.
- Pamela K. Coats & L. Franklin Fant, 1993. "Recognizing Financial Distress Patterns Using a Neural Network Tool," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2011:i:1:p:54-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.