Predicting large US commercial bank failures
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Sinkey, Joseph F, Jr, 1975. "A Multivariate Statistical Analysis of the Characteristics of Problem Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(1), pages 21-36, March.
- Pettway, Richard H, 1976. "Market Tests of Capital Adequacy of Large Commercial Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 865-875, June.
- James B. Thomson & Gary Whalen, 1988. "Using financial data to identify changes in bank condition," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, vol. 24(Q II), pages 17-26.
- Pettway, Richard H., 1980. "Potential Insolvency, Market Efficiency, and Bank Regulation of Large Commercial Banks," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 219-236, March.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1996. "Consolidation in U.S. banking: implications for efficiency and risk," Working Papers 572, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Blum, M, 1974. "Failing Company Discriminant-Analysis," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 1-25.
- Altman, Edward I. & Marco, Giancarlo & Varetto, Franco, 1994. "Corporate distress diagnosis: Comparisons using linear discriminant analysis and neural networks (the Italian experience)," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 505-529, May.
- Peavy, John III & Hempel, George H., 1988. "The Penn Square Bank failure : Effect on commercial bank security returns -- a note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 141-150, March.
- Edmister, Robert O., 1972. "An Empirical Test of Financial Ratio Analysis for Small Business Failure Prediction," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 1477-1493, March.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, September.
- Pamela K. Coats & L. Franklin Fant, 1993. "Recognizing Financial Distress Patterns Using a Neural Network Tool," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- Martin, Daniel, 1977. "Early warning of bank failure : A logit regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 249-276, November.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy: A Discriminant Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(1), pages 193-194, March.
- Ohlson, Ja, 1980. "Financial Ratios And The Probabilistic Prediction Of Bankruptcy," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 109-131.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995.
"The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rebel A. Cole & Jeffery W. Gunther, 1995. "FIMS: a new monitoring system for banking institutions," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jan, pages 1-15.
- George G. Kaufman, 1999. "Banking and currency crises and systemic risk: a taxonomy and review," Working Paper Series WP-99-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- West, Robert Craig, 1985. "A factor-analytic approach to bank condition," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 253-266, June.
- Espahbodi, Pouran, 1991. "Identification of problem banks and binary choice models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 53-71, February.
- Beaver, Wh, 1966. "Financial Ratios As Predictors Of Failure," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4, pages 71-111.
- Altman, Edward I. & Haldeman, Robert G. & Narayanan, P., 1977. "ZETATM analysis A new model to identify bankruptcy risk of corporations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Beaver, Wh, 1968. "Market Prices, Financial Ratios, And Prediction Of Failure," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 179-192.
- Meyer, Paul A & Pifer, Howard W, 1970. "Prediction of Bank Failures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 853-868, September.
- Korobow, Leon & Stuhr, David, 1985. "Performance measurement of early warning models : Comments on west and other weakness/failure prediction models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 267-273, June.
- James Kolari & Michele Caputo & Drew Wagner, 1996. "Trait Recognition: An Alternative Approach to Early Warning Systems in Commercial Banking," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(9-10), pages 1415-1434, December.
- R. Alton Gilbert & Andrew P. Meyer & Mark D. Vaughan, 1999. "The role of supervisory screens and econometric models in off-site surveillance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, vol. 81(Nov), pages 31-56.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Şaban Çelik, 2013. "Micro Credit Risk Metrics: A Comprehensive Review," Intelligent Systems in Accounting, Finance and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 233-272, October.
- fernández, María t. Tascón & gutiérrez, Francisco J. Castaño, 2012. "Variables y Modelos Para La Identificación y Predicción Del Fracaso Empresarial: Revisión de La Investigación Empírica Reciente," Revista de Contabilidad - Spanish Accounting Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 7-58.
- Peresetsky, A. A., 2011. "What factors drive the Russian banks license withdrawal," MPRA Paper 41507, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Logan, 2001. "The United Kingdom's small banks' crisis of the early 1990s: what were the leading indicators of failure?," Bank of England working papers 139, Bank of England.
- Dimitras, A. I. & Zanakis, S. H. & Zopounidis, C., 1996. "A survey of business failures with an emphasis on prediction methods and industrial applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 487-513, May.
- FayÃ§al Mraihi & Inane Kanzari & Mohamed Tahar Rajhi, 2015. "Development of a Prediction Model of Failure in Tunisian Companies: Comparison between Logistic Regression and Support Vector Machines," International Journal of Empirical Finance, Research Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 4(3), pages 184-205.
- Jackson, Richard H.G. & Wood, Anthony, 2013. "The performance of insolvency prediction and credit risk models in the UK: A comparative study," The British Accounting Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 183-202.
- Milagros Vivel-BÃºa & RubÃ©n Lado-Sestayo & Luis Otero-GonzÃ¡lez, 2016. "Impact of location on the probability of default in the Spanish lodging industry," Tourism Economics, , vol. 22(3), pages 593-607, June.
- du Jardin, Philippe & Séverin, Eric, 2011.
"Predicting corporate bankruptcy using a self-organizing map: An empirical study to improve the forecasting horizon of a financial failure model,"
44262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P. Du Jardin & E. Séverin, 2011. "Predicting Corporate Bankruptcy Using Self-Organising map: An empirical study to Improve the Forecasting horizon of financial failure model," Post-Print hal-00801878, HAL.
- Thomas B. King & Daniel A. Nuxoll & Timothy J. Yeager, 2006.
"Are the causes of bank distress changing? can researchers keep up?,"
Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, vol. 88(Jan), pages 57-80.
- Thomas B. King & Timothy J. Yeager, 2004. "Are the causes of bank distress changing? can researchers keep up?," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers 2004-07, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- FayÃ§al Mraihi, 2016. "Distressed Company Prediction Using Logistic Regression: Tunisianâ€™s Case," Quarterly Journal of Business Studies, Research Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 2(1), pages 34-54.
- Ali DERAN & Omer ISKENDEROGLU & Incilay ERDURU, 2014. "Regional Differences and Financial Ratios: A Comparative Approach on Companies of ISE City Indexes," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(4), pages 946-955.
- Róbert Štefko & Jarmila Horváthová & Martina Mokrišová, 2020. "Bankruptcy Prediction with the Use of Data Envelopment Analysis: An Empirical Study of Slovak Businesses," JRFM, MDPI, vol. 13(9), pages 1-15, September.
- Layla Khoja & Maxwell Chipulu & Ranadeva Jayasekera, 2016. "Analysing corporate insolvency in the Gulf Cooperation Council using logistic regression and multidimensional scaling," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 483-518, April.
- Teija Laitinen & Maria Kankaanpaa, 1999. "Comparative analysis of failure prediction methods: the Finnish case," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 67-92.
- Fernando Zambrano Farias & María del Carmen Valls Martínez & Pedro Antonio Martín-Cervantes, 2021. "Explanatory Factors of Business Failure: Literature Review and Global Trends," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(18), pages 1-25, September.
- Sebastian Klaudiusz Tomczak & Edward Radosiński, 2017. "The effectiveness of discriminant models based on the example of the manufacturing sector," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Science and Technology, Faculty of Management, vol. 27(3), pages 81-97.
- Cakir, Murat, 2005. "Firma Başarısızlığının Dinamiklerinin Belirlenmesinde Makina Öğrenmesi Teknikleri: Ampirik Uygulamalar ve Karşılaştırmalı Analiz [Machine Learning Techniques in Determining the Dynamics of Corporat," MPRA Paper 55975, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Mare, Davide Salvatore, 2013. "Probability of default and efficiency in cooperative banking," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 30-45.
- Douglas, Ella & Lont, David & Scott, Tom, 2014. "Finance company failure in New Zealand during 2006–2009: Predictable failures?," Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 277-295.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jebusi:v:54:y:2002:i:4:p:361-387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-economics-and-business .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-economics-and-business .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.