Patterns of Foreign Direct Investment in the New EU Countries
The aim of the paper is to assess the determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) inflow for the recent members of the EU (CEEC-41) using panel data methods. Our analysis is important because FDI is considered as a main contributor to economic development, modernization, income growth, catching-up process and changes in specialization structure. In this paper, we adopt a rigorous econometric model to explain the FDI inflows. We examine the role played by economic and non-economic factors in FDI attractiveness. Using the gravity model and recent econometric techniques, we obtain the unbiased and convergent estimators. From an econometric point of view, the use of a Fixed Effect Vector Decomposition (FEVD) estimator for the gravity model appears to be convenient for our data sample.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Egger, .
"A Note on the Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Equation,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Egger, Peter, 2000. "A note on the proper econometric specification of the gravity equation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-31, January.
- Peter H. Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013.
"The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(6), pages 701-712, 06.
- Egger Peter & Pfaffermayr Michael, . "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," EcoMod2002 330800024, EcoMod.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffernmayr, 2002. "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," International Trade 0204001, EconWPA.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981.
"Panel data and unobservable individual effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- Laszlo Matyas, 1997. "Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Model," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 363-368, 05.
- Christophe Rault & Ana Maria Sova & Robert Sova, 2008.
"Modeling International Trade Flows Between CEEC and OECD Countries,"
- Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Ana Maria Sova, 2009. "Modelling international trade flows between CEEC and OECD countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(15), pages 1547-1554.
- Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Ana Maria Sova, 2008. "Modeling International Trade Flows between CEEC and OECD Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 2282, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bos J.W.B. & Laar M. van de, 2004.
"Explaining Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: an Extended Gravitiy Approach,"
041, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jaap Bos & Mindel van de Laar, 2004. "Explaining Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: an Extended Gravity Approach," DNB Working Papers 008, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2003. "The proper panel econometric specification of the gravity equation: A three-way model with bilateral interaction effects," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 571-580, July.
- Albu, Lucian Liviu, 2008. "Trends in Structural Changes and Convergence in EU," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(1), pages 91-101, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v:6:y:2009:i:2:p:42-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.