The Way Italian Firms Grow: A Case Study from Southern Italy
This paper traces the evolution of the Italian industrial structure from the second postwar period up to today, which is mainly characterized by small-sized firms. Over time small businesses have been organized first, polyarchically in industrial districts then, hierarchically in business groups. These two models have accounted for the only successful reactions to the crisis of the Italian industry, but the phenomena have been concerned with mainly the northern and central regions of the country, while leaving the southern regions behind. The aim of this paper is to show through a case study that even small businesses in the South of Italy can achieve successful results by implementing new organizational schemes based on national and transnational cooperation.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 43 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.rei.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Arrighetti & Fabrizio Traù, 2006. "Struttura industriale e architetture organizzative: il ritorno alla gerarchia?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2006(1).
- A. Arrighetti & F. Traù, 2007. "La "questione dimensionale" come problema organizzativo," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP04, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2001. "The Microeconomics of Technological Systems," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245536, December.
- Giulio Cainelli & Donato Iacobucci, 2009. "Business groups and the boundaries of the firm," Working Papers 0905, c.MET-05 - Centro Interuniversitario di Economia Applicata alle Politiche per L'industria, lo Sviluppo locale e l'Internazionalizzazione.
- Aiello Francesco & Cardamone Paola & Pupo Valeria, 2005. "Produttività e capitale tecnologico nel settore manifatturiero italiano," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 119-146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rej:journl:v:15:y:2012:i:43:p:115-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.