The Way Italian Firms Grow: A Case Study from Southern Italy
This paper traces the evolution of the Italian industrial structure from the second postwar period up to today, which is mainly characterized by small-sized firms. Over time small businesses have been organized first, polyarchically in industrial districts then, hierarchically in business groups. These two models have accounted for the only successful reactions to the crisis of the Italian industry, but the phenomena have been concerned with mainly the northern and central regions of the country, while leaving the southern regions behind. The aim of this paper is to show through a case study that even small businesses in the South of Italy can achieve successful results by implementing new organizational schemes based on national and transnational cooperation.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 43 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.rei.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2001. "The Microeconomics of Technological Systems," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245536, June.
- Alessandro Arrighetti & Fabrizio Traù, 2006. "Struttura industriale e architetture organizzative: il ritorno alla gerarchia?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2006(1).
- Aiello Francesco & Cardamone Paola & Pupo Valeria, 2005. "Produttività e capitale tecnologico nel settore manifatturiero italiano," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 119-146.
- A. Arrighetti & F. Traù, 2007. "La "questione dimensionale" come problema organizzativo," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP04, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Giulio Cainelli & Donato Iacobucci, 2009. "Business groups and the boundaries of the firm," Working Papers 0905, c.MET-05 - Centro Interuniversitario di Economia Applicata alle Politiche per L'industria, lo Sviluppo locale e l'Internazionalizzazione.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rej:journl:v:15:y:2012:i:43:p:115-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.