Produttività e capitale tecnologico nel settore manifatturiero italiano
This paper estimates the impact of R&D expenditure on productivity at firm level. We use a balanced panel of 385 Italian manufacturing firms in order to provide evidence of the elasticity of capital R&D over the period 1992-1997. We consider an extended production function that includes the firm's own R&D capital stock and the spillover effect as inputs, as well as labour, physical and human capital. Final outcomes confirm the relevance of R&D as a source of growth, the R&D capital elasticity being equal to 0.14.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wakelin, Katharine, 2001. "Productivity growth and R&D expenditure in UK manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1079-1090, August.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard C. Levin & Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1987. "Appropriating the Returns from Industrial Research and Development," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 783-832.
- Jacques Mairesse & Bronwyn H. Hall, 1996. "Estimating the Productivity of Research and Development: An Exploration of GMM Methods Using Data on French & United States Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 5501, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Leoncini Riccardo & Montresor Sandro, 2001. "Struttura produttiva e processo innovativo: un'analisi intersettoriale del sistema tecnologico italiano," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 169-206.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Cesaratto, Sergio & Sirilli, Giorgio, 1991. "Sources of innovative activities and industrial organization in Italy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 299-313, August.
- Elvio MATTIOLI & Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1997.
"Fonti e risultati dell'attivita' innovativa nell'industria italiana: Un'analisi settoriale,"
94, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Mattioli Elvio & Sterlacchini Alessandro, 1998. "Fonti e risultati dell'attività innovativa nell'industria italiana: un'analisi settoriale," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 49-80.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Miniaci, Raffaele, 1999. "The economic returns to schooling for Italian men. An evaluation based on instrumental variables1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 509-519, November.
- Destefanis, Sergio, 2000.
"Differenziali territoriali di produttività ed efficienza e sviluppo dualistico
[Territorial differences in productivity and efficiency and Italian dualism]," MPRA Paper 62065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1986. "Productivity, R&D, and the Basic Research at the Firm Level in the 1970's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 141-54, March.
- Sterlacchini Alessandro, 2001. "Il contributo delle grandi e delle piccole imprese al progresso tecnologico," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 95-120.
- Trostel, Philip & Walker, Ian & Woolley, Paul, 2002. "Estimates of the economic return to schooling for 28 countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Francesco Aiello & Valeria Pupo, 2004. "Il tasso di rendimento degli investimenti in ricerca e sviluppo delle imprese innovatrici italiane," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(3), pages 81-118, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mul:j0hje1:doi:10.1430/19611:y:2005:i:1:p:119-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.