La integración vertical en el sistema de salud colombiano
Vertical integration in the health sector refers to the government structure designed to coordinate and control attention services in the different states of the value chain, and to facilitate the collaboration and communication between the suppliers. In Colombia, the vertical integration allows insurers (EPS) to provide health services directly through their own centers of attention (IPS). This situation has motivated the EPS to create their own IPS and other modalities of vertical integration or control. This article offers a model of double marginalization for only one EPS and one IPS, and concludes that when the insurance company practices vertical control toward the lender, the benefits are larger than in a scheme of independent firms; also, the final price of the integrated scheme is smaller.
Volume (Year): 9 (2007)
Issue (Month): 17 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas|
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- George J. Stigler, 1951. "The Division of Labor is Limited by the Extent of the Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59, pages 185.
- Cutler, David M. & Zeckhauser, Richard J., 2000.
"The anatomy of health insurance,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 563-643
- Pauly, Mark V., 1987. "Monopsony power in health insurance: thinking straight while standing on your head," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 73-81, March.
- Juan Luis Londoño & Julio Frenk, 1997. "Pluralismo estructurado: Hacia un modelo innovador para la reforma de los sistemas de salud en América Latina," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 7627, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Lynk, William J & Morrisey, Michael A, 1987. "The Economic Basis of Hyde: Are Market Power and Hospital Exclusive Contracts Related?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 399-421, October.
- Blois, K J, 1972. "Vertical Quasi-Integration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 253-72, July.
- Ciliberto, Federico & Dranove, David, 2006. "The effect of physician-hospital affiliations on hospital prices in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 29-38, January.
- Gaynor, Martin, 2006. "Is vertical integration anticompetitive?: Definitely maybe (but that's not final)," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 175-180, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rei:ecoins:v:9:y:2007:i:17:p:279-308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.