Concentration of Capital Ownership and Investment Fluctuations
This paper is motivated by the observation that investment tends to accelerate when output is around trend. The model used to explain this observation is based on the capacity-constrained production setup in Hansen and Prescott (2001), where capacity is constant over time, and on capital being owned by a fraction of the agents in the economy. When capacity is reached, the capital share increases because its component from capacity ownership becomes positive. The concentration of capital ownership leads then to an acceleration of investment.generated by the desire of capital owners to smooth consumption.as well as to a deceleration of total consumption. The results from the calibrated model contribute, although only partially, to the explanation of the observed behavior. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 7 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Marina Azzimonti, Department of Economics, Stonybrook University, 10 Nicolls Road, Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1076-1107, October.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- King, Robert G & Plosser, Charles I & Rebelo, Sergio T, 2002.
"Production, Growth and Business Cycles: Technical Appendix,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 87-116, October.
- Morten Ravn, "undated". "King-Plosser-Rebelo GAUSS programmes," QM&RBC Codes 104, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-417, June.
- Gary D. Hansen & Edward C. Prescott, 2005. "Capacity constraints, asymmetries, and the business cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(4), pages 850-865, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:v:7:y:2004:i:3:p:668-686. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.