The Dynamics of Exclusion and Fiscal Conservatism
This paper studies the impact of income inequality on fiscal conservatism when an increase in inequality essentially affects the bottom of the income distribution. It is argued that, contrary to what is generally assumed in the economic literature, inequality will then be associated will less, rather than more, redistributive taxation. Furthermore, if the poor are liquidity constrained then the positive association between inequality and fiscal conservatism will increase the persistence in the dynamics of income distribution and possibly lead to multiple steady states. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/RED17.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52, January.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- Azariadis, Costas & Drazen, Allan, 1990. "Threshold Externalities in Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 501-26, May.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles & Verdier, Thierry, 1992.
"Education, Democracy and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1991.
"Risk-Bearing and the Theory of Income Distribution,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 211-35, April.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1989. "Risk-Bearing and the Theory of Income Distribution," Discussion Papers 877, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995.
"A positive theory of social security,"
Economics Working Papers
108, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Lars Osberg, 1998. "Economic Insecurity," Discussion Papers 0088, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Levy, Frank & Murnane, Richard J, 1992. "U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1333-81, September.
- Barro, Robert J., 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
3451400, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gilles Saint-Paul, 2001.
"The Dynamics of Exclusion and Fiscal Conservatism,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 275-302, April.
- Meltzer, Allan H & Richard, Scott F, 1981. "A Rational Theory of the Size of Government," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 914-27, October.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986.
"A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy,Discrimination, and Keynesian Unemployment,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages 376-414, July.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985. "A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy, Discrimination and Keynesian Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 1666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1981. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Distribution of Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 843-67, June.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Piketty, Thomas, 1997. "The Dynamics of the Wealth Distribution and the Interest Rate with Credit Rationing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 173-89, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:v:4:y:2001:i:2:p:275-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.