Income Diversification in Italian Farms
In this paper the process of income diversification in agriculture is analysed. In the first part we discuss how the decline of the productivist approach and the emergence of new development trajectories have contributed to widen the range of strategies implemented by farms to reverse income decline and instability. Attention then focuses on the theoretical aspects of diversification, with discussion of the reasons for farms to venture upon various different types of diversification. In the third part, we offer some empirical evidence on the scale of diversification among Italian farms.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Petrie, Ragan & Roth, Michael, 2003.
"Farm Household Production Efficiency: Evidence from The Gambia,"
Efficiency Series Papers
2003/05, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Ragan Petrie & Michael Roth, 2005. "Farm Household Production Efficiency: Evidence from The Gambia," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 160-179.
- J. Fernandez-Cornejo & C. M. Gempesaw II & J. G. Elterich & S. E. Stefanou, 1992. "Dynamic Measures of Scope and Scale Economies: An Application to German Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(2), pages 329-342.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Salant, P., 1985. "Role of Fringe Benefits in Operator Off-Farm Labor Supply (The)," Staff General Research Papers 11235, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kaserman, David L & Mayo, John W, 1991. "The Measurement of Vertical Economies and the Efficient Structure of the Electric Utility Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 483-502, September.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Phimister, Euan & Roberts, Deborah, 2002. "The Effect of Off-farm Work on Production Intensity and Output Structure," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15718, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.