Public Debt Service, Interest Rates and Fiscal Variables in Transition Countries
The prevailing view in the literature is that the cost of debt servicing depends on the variables that determine the debt dynamics: primary balance, outstanding debt, economic growth and inflation. Several papers devoted to advanced market economies show that a stronger primary balance is associated with a lower cost of debt servicing. The interest cost of servicing the public debt is key both to its sustainability and to the burden it places on the public finances and the economy. A panel of four transition economies: the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia in the time period 1994 -2002 has been analyzed. The question is if also in these countries much of the variation in the costs of servicing public debt can be explained in terms of fundamentals that determine the debt dynamics. Last but not least country-specific effects are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2004 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willi Leibfritz & Deborah Roseveare & Paul van den Noord, 1994. "Fiscal Policy, Government Debt and Economic Performance," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 144, OECD Publishing.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1990. "Suggestions for a New Set of Fiscal Indicators," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 79, OECD Publishing.
- Francesco Caselli, 1998. "Fiscal Discipline and the Cost of Public Debt Service; Some Estimates for OECD Countries," IMF Working Papers 98/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Jaromir Cekota & Rauf Gönenç & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2002. "Strengthening the Management of Public Spending in Hungary," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 336, OECD Publishing.
- Andrew Burns & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2002. "Public Expenditure Management in Poland," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 346, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2004:y:2004:i:1:id:227:p:3-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.