Trade Reform, Capital Mobility, and Efficiency Wage in a Harris-Todaro Economy
The main purpose of this paper is to analyse the impact of trade reform on unemployment and social welfare in a Harris-Todaro (1970) economy with efficiency wage and capital mobility. The analysis shows that capital mobility plays an important role to influence the impact of trade reform on unemployment and social welfare. We find that trade reform raises urban unemployment and produces an ambiguous effect on social welfare when capital is perfectly mobile among the three sectors. However, such policy lowers unemployment and raises social welfare when capital is imperfectly mobile.
Volume (Year): 46 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, .
"Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labor Market,"
177, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2002. "Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1993. "Rural-urban migation, informal sector and development policies A theoretical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 137-151, June.
- Chandra, Vandana & Khan, M Ali, 1993. "Foreign Investment in the Presence of an Informal Sector," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 79-103, February.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Bliss, Christopher & Stern, Nicholas, 1978. "Productivity, wages and nutrition : Part II: Some observations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 363-398, December.
- Khan, M. Ali & Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider, 1983. "Capital markets and urban unemployment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 367-385, November.
- Yoshiaki Azuma & Herschel I. Grossman, 2002.
"A Theory of the Informal Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
8823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. N. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1975.
"Education in a 'Job Ladder' Model and the Fairness-in-Hiring Rule,"
159, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Srinivasan, T. N., 1977. "Education in a `job ladder' model and the fairness-in-hiring rule," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1997. "Informal sector and informal capital market in a small open less-developed economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 409-428, April.
- Grinols, Earl L, 1991. "Unemployment and Foreign Capital: The Relative Opportunity Costs of Domestic Labour and Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 107-21, February.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2005.
"Free Education Policy And Trade Liberalization: Consequences On Child And Adult Labour Markets In A Small Open Economy,"
Labor and Demography
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukhopadhyay, Ujjaini, 2003. "Free Education Policy and Trade Liberalization: Consequences on Child and Adult Labour Markets in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 18, pages 336-359.
- Jones, R.W. & Marjit, S., 1992. "International Trade and Endogenous Production Structures," RCER Working Papers 312, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jai-Young Choi, 1999. "Factor Growth, Urban Unemployment and Welfare Under Variable Returns to Scale," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 17-34.
- Khan, M Ali, 1991. "Ethnic Groups and the Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Trade Model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 1(4), pages 355-71, October.
- Rauch, James E., 1991. "Modelling the informal sector formally," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 33-47, January.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1992. "Capital markets, urban unemployment and land," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 407-413, April.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Hamid, Hamid, 2005. "Foreign Investment, Urban Unemployment, and Informal Sector," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 123-138.
- James E. Rauch, 1991.
"Economic Development, Urban Underemployment, and Income Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
3758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Rauch, 1993. "Economic Development, Urban Underemployment, and Income Inequality," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 901-18, November.
- Shigemi Yabuuchi & Hamid Beladi, 2001. "Urban unemployment, informal sector and development policies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 301-314, October.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2003. "How and how far to liberalize a developing economy with informal sector and factor market distortions," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 403-428.
- Marjit, Sugata, 2003. "Economic reform and informal wage--a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 371-378, October.
- Manjusri Bandyopadhyay & Manas Gupta, 1995. "Development policies in the presence of an informal sector: A note," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 61(3), pages 301-315, October.
- Kar, Saibal & Marjit, Sugata, 2001. "Informal sector in general equilibrium: welfare effects of trade policy reforms," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 289-300, July.
- Marcouiller, Douglas & Young, Leslie, 1995. "The Black Hole of Graft: The Predatory State and the Informal Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 630-46, June.
- Fields, Gary S., 1989. "On-the-job search in a labor market model : Ex ante choices and ex post outcomes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-178, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:46:y:2007:i:2:p:163-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.