Trade Reform, Capital Mobility, and Efficiency Wage in a Harris-Todaro Economy
The main purpose of this paper is to analyse the impact of trade reform on unemployment and social welfare in a Harris-Todaro (1970) economy with efficiency wage and capital mobility. The analysis shows that capital mobility plays an important role to influence the impact of trade reform on unemployment and social welfare. We find that trade reform raises urban unemployment and produces an ambiguous effect on social welfare when capital is perfectly mobile among the three sectors. However, such policy lowers unemployment and raises social welfare when capital is imperfectly mobile.
Volume (Year): 46 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jai-Young Choi, 1999. "Factor Growth, Urban Unemployment and Welfare Under Variable Returns to Scale," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 17-34.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2005.
"Free Education Policy And Trade Liberalization: Consequences On Child And Adult Labour Markets In A Small Open Economy,"
Labor and Demography
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukhopadhyay, Ujjaini, 2003. "Free Education Policy and Trade Liberalization: Consequences on Child and Adult Labour Markets in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 18, pages 336-359.
- Yoshiaki Azuma & Herschel I. Grossman, 2002.
"A Theory of the Informal Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
8823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marjit, Sugata, 2003. "Economic reform and informal wage--a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 371-378, October.
- Kar, Saibal & Marjit, Sugata, 2001. "Informal sector in general equilibrium: welfare effects of trade policy reforms," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 289-300, July.
- Marcouiller, Douglas & Young, Leslie, 1995. "The Black Hole of Graft: The Predatory State and the Informal Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 630-46, June.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1997. "Informal sector and informal capital market in a small open less-developed economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 409-428, April.
- Bliss, Christopher & Stern, Nicholas, 1978. "Productivity, wages and nutrition : Part II: Some observations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 363-398, December.
- J. N. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1975.
"Education in a 'Job Ladder' Model and the Fairness-in-Hiring Rule,"
159, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Srinivasan, T. N., 1977. "Education in a `job ladder' model and the fairness-in-hiring rule," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Rauch, James E., 1991. "Modelling the informal sector formally," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 33-47, January.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1992. "Capital markets, urban unemployment and land," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 407-413, April.
- Chandra, Vandana & Khan, M Ali, 1993. "Foreign Investment in the Presence of an Informal Sector," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 79-103, February.
- James E. Rauch, 1993.
"Economic Development, Urban Underemployment, and Income Inequality,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 901-18, November.
- James E. Rauch, 1991. "Economic Development, Urban Underemployment, and Income Inequality," NBER Working Papers 3758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shigemi Yabuuchi & Hamid Beladi, 2001. "Urban unemployment, informal sector and development policies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 301-314, October.
- Manjusri Bandyopadhyay & Manas Gupta, 1995. "Development policies in the presence of an informal sector: A note," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 61(3), pages 301-315, October.
- Khan, M. Ali & Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider, 1983. "Capital markets and urban unemployment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 367-385, November.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2003. "How and how far to liberalize a developing economy with informal sector and factor market distortions," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 403-428.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1993. "Rural-urban migation, informal sector and development policies A theoretical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 137-151, June.
- Fields, Gary S., 1989. "On-the-job search in a labor market model : Ex ante choices and ex post outcomes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-178, January.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Hamid, Hamid, 2005. "Foreign Investment, Urban Unemployment, and Informal Sector," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 123-138.
- Boeri, Tito & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2002.
"Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, . "Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labor Market," Working Papers 177, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Jones, R.W. & Marjit, S., 1992. "International Trade and Endogenous Production Structures," RCER Working Papers 312, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Grinols, Earl L, 1991. "Unemployment and Foreign Capital: The Relative Opportunity Costs of Domestic Labour and Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 107-21, February.
- Khan, M Ali, 1991. "Ethnic Groups and the Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Trade Model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 355-71, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:46:y:2007:i:2:p:163-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.