Sub -optimal Tariff Policy and Gains from Trade for LDCs with Urban Unemployment
In this paper we examine the issue of gains from trade in a setting which admits urban unemployment and a variety of urban, labour market conditions. In addition to the conventional criterion, we also consider the case when the size of the urban unemployed is the sole determinant of welfare. The results lean heavily on factor market stability and are sensitive to the commodity being imported and to the assumption of intersectoral mobility of capital.
Volume (Year): 21 (1982)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kemp, Murray C & Nagishi, Takashi, 1969. "Domestic Distortions, Tariffs, and the Theory of Optimum Subsidy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 1011-13, Nov./Dec..
- Brecher, Richard A., 1974. "Optimal commercial policy for a minimum-wage economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 139-149, May.
- Neary, J Peter, 1981. "On the Harris-Todaro Model with Intersectoral Capital Mobility," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(191), pages 219-34, August.
- J. N. Bhagwati & V. K. Ramaswami & T. N. Srinivasan, 1968.
"Domestic Distortions, Tariffs and the Theory of Optimum Subsidy: Some Further Results,"
29, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Ramaswami, V K & Srinivasan, T N, 1969. "Domestic Distortions, Tariffs, and the Theory of Optimum Subsidy: Some Further Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 1005-10, Nov./Dec..
- Jones, Ronald W, 1971. "Distortions in Factor Markets and the General Equilibrium Model of Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 437-59, May-June.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Kemp, Murray C, 1969.
"Ranking of Tariffs under Monopoly Power in Trade,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 330-35, May.
- Srinivasan, T. N. & Bhagwati, Jagdish, 1975.
"Alternative policy rankings in a large, open economy with sector-specific, minimum wages,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 356-371, December.
- J. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1973. "Alternative Policy Rankings in a Large, Open Economy with Sector-Specific, Minimum Wages," Working papers 109, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Corden, W M & Findlay, Ronald, 1975. "Urban Unemployment, Intersectoral Capital Mobility and Development Policy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(165), pages 59-78, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:21:y:1982:i:2:p:105-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.