Pakistan’s Trade Performance vis-à-vis Its Major Trading Partners
In contrast to earlier empirical research that documents the import and export price elasticities at an aggregate level, this article estimates bilateral price and income impacts on Pakistan’s trade performance with its four major trading partners, i.e., USA, UK, Germany, and Japan. Using quarterly data for the period 1982-I–1996-IV and the Three-stage Least Square technique, the study documents the impact of real devaluation, real income, export incentives, and domestic inflation on trade performance with respect to each of the four trading partners.
Volume (Year): 39 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pkEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Sarmad, Khwaja, 1989. "The determinants of import demand in Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(10), pages 1619-1625, October.
- Khwaja Sarmad & Riaz Mahmood, 1987. "Disaggregated Import Demand Functions for Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 26(1), pages 71-80.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S & Officer, Lawrence H, 1980. "Prices of Tradable and Nontradable Goods in the Demand for Total Imports," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 190-99, May.
- M. Aynul Hasan & Ashfaque H. Khan, 1994. "Impact of Devaluation on Pakistan's External Trade: An Econometric Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 1205-1215.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:39:y:2000:i:1:p:37-50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.