Inward foreign direct investment and aggregate imports: time series evidence from Pakistan
This study investigates the impact of inward foreign direct investment (FDI) on aggregate imports in Pakistan using the annual time series data for the period 1981 to 2007. The cointegration results suggest that there exists a unique significant positive long-run equilibrium relationship between inward FDI and aggregate imports in Pakistan. The respective parsimonious short-term dynamic error-correction model also confirms a significant positive short run relationship with high speed of adjustment. The causality result shows unidirectional causality running from inward FDI to aggregate imports in the country. The sensitivity analysis confirms that the results are robust.
|Date of creation:||06 Jan 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V N Balasubramanyam & M Salisu & David Sapsford., "undated".
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries,"
ec18/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Salisu, M & Sapsford, David, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 92-105, January.
- Mohsin Hasnain Ahmad & Shaista Alam & Mohammad Sabihuddin Butt, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exports, and Domestic Output in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 715-723.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 1999. "An aggregate import demand function for Bangladesh: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 465-472.
- Zahir Shah & Qazi Masood Ahmed, 2003. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Pakistan: an Empirical Investigation," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 697-714.
- M. T. Alguacil & V. Orts, 2003.
"Inward Foreign Direct Investment and Imports in Spain,"
International Economic Journal,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 19-38.
- M. T. Alguacil & V. Orts, "undated". "Inward Foreign Direct Investment and Imports in Spain," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 02-01, FEDEA.
- M. T. Alguacil & Vicente Orts, 2002. "Inward Foreign Direct Investment And Imports In Spain," Working Papers 02-01, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Sarmad, Khwaja, 1989. "The determinants of import demand in Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(10), pages 1619-1625, October.
- Anjum Aqeel & Mohammed Nishat, 2004. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 651-664.
- Zeshan Atique & Mohsin Hasnain Ahmad & Usman Azhar, 2004. "The Impact of FDI on Economic Growth under Foreign Trade Regimes: A Case Study of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 707-718.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Muhammad Arshad Khan, 2007.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth : The Role of Domestic Financial Sector,"
Finance Working Papers
22205, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Muhammad Arshad Khan, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: The Role of Domestic Financial Sector," PIDE-Working Papers 2007:18, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- Hendry, David F, 1980. "Econometrics-Alchemy or Science?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(188), pages 387-406, November.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991.
"A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
609, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992. "A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-963, September.
- Mohsin S. Khan, 1974. "Import and Export Demand in Developing Countries (Demande Ã l'importation et l'exportation dans les pays en dÃ©veloppement) (La demanda de importaciÃ³n y de exportaciÃ³n en los paÃses en desarrollo)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 678-693, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.