International Accounting Standardisation in Hungarian Practice
The purpose of this study was to measure the differences between national rules and international methods, evaluating and analysing their financial effects on the economic environment. To examine decisions made by companies to adopt IFRS, we created a sample comprising Budapest Stock Exchange (BSE) companies that adopted IFRS in Hungary in 2005. The financial data are taken from accounts published on the Budapest Stock Exchange and in the Hungarian Business Information database. In our sample, the firms are classified as either ‘following international standards’ or as ‘using domestic accounting rules’. The results show that larger firms (those with more leverage, higher market capitalisation and substantial exports) were more likely to have adopted international accounting standards. Among these firms, lower profits are declared less frequently—possibly indicative of the quality of earnings management. Companies that had adopted IFRS also provided higher quality and value-relevant accounting information systems.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Frankel, Richard & Li, Xu, 2004. "Characteristics of a firm's information environment and the information asymmetry between insiders and outsiders," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 229-259, June.
- Peter Easton, 2006. "Use of Forecasts of Earnings to Estimate and Compare Cost of Capital Across Regimes," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3-4), pages 374-394.
- Anna-Maija Lantto & Petri Sahlström, 2009. "Impact of International Financial Reporting Standard adoption on key financial ratios," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(2), pages 341-361.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pfq:journl:v:57:y:2012:i:4:p:412-425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pál Péter Kolozsi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.